Office Location: Tioga County Soil and Water Conservation District
Position Description: This position will assist the current USC Buffer Coordinator with new and current efforts to reforest riparian areas. It is recognized in the Chesapeake Bay Forest Restoration Strategy that forest restoration is a “long term endeavor that begins with planting and caring for trees.” Therefore this new position will not only focus on implementation of new riparian buffer acres, but also strategies to monitor and maintain planted buffers to ensure the desired function is obtained. This position is a 12 month, temporary position with potential for extension.
Position tasks will include:
- Perform tasks associated with riparian forest buffer implementation, including the planning, design, installation, and maintenance of streamside buffers;
- Develop and implement monitoring strategies for streamside buffers;
- Provide direct, one-on-one assistance to landowners on buffer implementation and maintenance;
- Educate USC districts and partners on riparian buffer implementation, establishment, and available resources;
- Coordinate volunteers for planting events;
- Collect data on buffer condition and maintenance performed; and
- Assist other USC Teams with planning and implementation, as needed.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Natural Resource Management, Forestry, Watershed Science, Stream Ecology, Agriculture, or closely related field; and excellent verbal communication skills with interest in working with the public, valid NYS Driver’s License with reliable transportation, ability to perform physically demanding work in an outdoor setting, flexibility to occasionally work weekend hours, and an interest in forestry, habitat restoration or public outreach.
Supervision/Location: This position will be based at the Tioga County Soil and Water Conservation District office and will be supervised by the Upper Susquehanna Coalition’s Riparian Buffer Coordinator.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Lydia Brinkley at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 5, 2017.