Job Opening – CRC Communications Staffer at the Chesapeake Bay Program Office
Restoration of the Chesapeake Bay requires talented, diverse and passionate individuals and the CRC seeks such an individual for a three-year appointment to the Chesapeake Bay Program’s Communication Office. The Communications Office supports efforts to restore and protect the Chesapeake Bay by providing information to the public, working with the media, branding and promoting the Chesapeake Bay Program, and facilitating communications between state and federal agencies. Special emphasis is placed on using multimedia content and online tools in the office’s daily work.
The Communications Office Staffer is responsible for supporting the Communications Office by working with subject matter experts to create, maintain and market consistent, high-quality web content for the Bay Program website that supports the work of the partnership. The Staffer will assist in writing content for the Bay Program’s website (e.g., blog posts), compile e-newsletters, assist in the running of social media accounts, staff the partnership’s Communications Workgroup and assist in the planning of the annual meeting of the Chesapeake Executive Council.
The selected candidate will work as a CRC employee at the U.S. EPA’s Chesapeake Bay Program Office facility located in Annapolis, Maryland.
The ideal candidate for the position would have the following background and qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing public relations, environmental communications, or other relevant area of study. Individuals possessing a degree in natural or environmental sciences and/or management with an interest in environmental communications are also encouraged to apply.
- Solid writing skills and a strong interest in writing for a variety of formats, including press releases, newsletters, blogs and the web.
- Ability to use online social networking tools such as Facebook and Twitter to distribute information, engage audiences and spur action.
- Ability to perform background interviews, research and analysis, ensuring that communication products are complete and technically accurate.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is required and experience with graphic design software (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) is beneficial.
- Familiarity with using remote technologies such as video conferencing (Web-X, Adobe Connect, etc.) a plus.
- Ability to work with people in a consensus-building environment and independently plan meetings, develop agendas and draft concise meeting minutes.
- Interest in learning how a diverse, governmental-environmental-management partnership makes decisions effectively and sets and achieves goals through collaborative and regulatory processes.
- A will to explore your career options, passion and enthusiasm for the work and program.
The annual salary is $40,030 and a competitive vacation and benefits package is included for the three-year position. In addition to the experience gained through their work assignments, Staffers, through individual professional development plans, also attend professional conferences, workshops, and training related to their position and identified future career interests.
Applications (a detailed cover letter, resume, list of at least three references, transcript [unofficial is fine] and a short writing sample) should be sent electronically to Melissa Fagan, Environmental Management Career Development Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include information concerning education and professional background, as well as immediate and long-term career goals.
Additional information about the CRC Environmental Career Development Program is available at www.chesapeake.org. Additional information about the Chesapeake Bay Program is available at www.chesapeakebay.net.
CRC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status or national origin. CRC maintains a drug-free workplace. All Staffers are required to complete a federal background check upon hire.
Announcement Close Date: January 1, 2018