The Student Conservation Association is Hiring: Philadelphia Area Program Manager
SCA’s mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land. Every day SCA provides opportunities for young people to make a positive impact on the world around them. Every year we motivate and deploy thousands of young people who care passionately about improving their natural world. We put them to work in our parks and public lands and urban green spaces to make improvements and learn conservation and sustainability practices. We teach them how to plan, enact, and lead, all while making a tangible impact in conservation.
SCA fielded its first community conservation program in Philadelphia in 2009. In 2012 we launched our programming in Camden, New Jersey. We run both summer and school year programs from our main oﬃce located inside the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum visitor’s center. Since that first year, hundreds of youth in the Philadelphia region have participated in SCA programs. Thanks to the City of Philadelphia and the City of Camden, environmental organizations, schools, youth development organizations, and numerous community groups, SCA continues to provide conservation opportunities to Philadelphia young people each year.
The ideal candidate will be from or familiar with Philadelphia and have experience leading volunteers in an environmental or service based program. This position will be filled asap with an ideal start in June.
Work as part of a regional team to lead all field based programming for youth in the Philadelphia Area (including Camden, NJ). The Program Manager is responsible for recruiting program participants, supervising Crew Leaders, delivering support for members, and building relationships with partner organizations while representing the SCA brand throughout the Philadelphia area.
• Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in environmental studies, natural resource management, education, youth development or like-minded field of study. • 3-5 years of experience in personnel management, program management, leading and creating programs for youth and young adults.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Relationship development a plus.
• Strong computer skills with experience in MS Office and Salesforce a plus.
• Willingness and ability to travel locally and regionally. Aprox. 15% of the time.
• Current First Aid and CPR certification
• Must pass SCA criminal background check and obtain appropriate State of Pennsylvania clearances.
Planning and Program Delivery:
• Maintain relationships with current partners and build new ones for additional program opportunities.
• Help create a safe and educational environment that fosters curiosity and appreciation for the natural world.
• Recruit, interview, and hire program members and leaders.
• Ensure that programs adhere to SCA’s guidelines of providing safe, educational programming.
• Maintain all equipment and supplies in good order.
• Assist with curriculum enhancement and development.
• Work to resolve any program or staff issues that may arise.
• Lead and or attend conferences, community meetings, and events as needed.
• Supervise up to 20 seasonal leaders
• Supervise seasonal Program Assistant
• Provide leaders and program assistants with guidance on supervising members.
• Participate in annual leader training and member training.
Administrative and Financial Responsibility:
• Manage annual program budget
• Ensure program surveys and reporting is complete
SCA Field Office at
John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge
8601 Lindbergh Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19153
Send resume and cover letter to: Randall Rupp, Regional Program Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are being reviewed as received and position will be filled once a candidate is identified with a June start date preferred.
Posted May 17, 2017