The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay seeks a Communications Intern for its Chesapeake Bay Program (CBP) Communications Office in Annapolis, Maryland. This is summer 2017 position. Deadline to apply is Friday, April 14, 2017.
Project Description: The CBP Communications Office supports the partnership’s efforts to restore and protect the Chesapeake Bay by providing information to the public, working with the media, branding and promoting CBP products and activities, and facilitating communications among local, state and federal governments, nonprofit organizations and academia. Key audiences for CBP’s communications efforts are local government staff, elected officials and businesses throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed. The communications intern will have the opportunity to work with federal, state and local governments, nonprofits and academic partners to further expand engagement and develop communications products useful in demonstrating how these audiences are supporting the Chesapeake watershed restoration effort in their locales while also educating these audiences regarding the upcoming Chesapeake Bay Total Maximum Daily Load Midpoint Assessment and development of Phase III Watershed Implementation Plans.
The Communications Intern will:
- Work under the guidance of the Communications Director to research and develop case studies that would inform local governments.
- In coordination with ongoing efforts at the CBP, develop a case study template.
- Working with CBP workgroups and initiatives, identify topics for case studies.
- Assist with collecting information to build case studies, which may include interviewing key individuals and gathering information from local leaders.
- Identify methods to deliver case studies and news items to targeted audiences.
- Assist with pitching and writing stories for local media (both print and online).
- Help with targeted communications campaigns that will engage local governments.
- Attend relevant meetings as necessary.
- Assist with developing a tool kit to help inform newly elected officials about the Chesapeake Bay Program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Desired fields of study: Communications, Urban and Regional Planning, Business, Sustainable Development, Public Administration, Public Policy
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Exceptional written communications skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Graphic design experience desired, but not required.
- Ability to perform research and analysis, ensuring that communications products are complete and technically accurate.
- Experience generating story ideas.
- Strong interest in environmental and social issues, preferably related to the Chesapeake Bay.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and willingness to be a team player.
- Comfortable interacting with a diverse array of people and organizations.
- As some travel may be required, owning a car is preferred.
Contract Period & Hours: 40 hours/week for 15 weeks (negotiable) in summer 2017 (May – August)
About the organization(s): The CBP Communications Office is managed by the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay under grant funding provided by the Environmental Protection Agency. The Alliance has been a leader in the Chesapeake protection and restoration effort for over 45 years with a mission to lead, support and inspire local watershed action.
The Chesapeake Bay Program is a diverse federal/state/non-government partnership established in 1983. It works to restore and protect the Chesapeake Bay and the thousands of streams, creeks and rivers in the watershed through collaborative policy making, scientific assessment and public communication. This position reports directly to the Communications Director and works closely with the Chesapeake Bay Program Communications team and Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay’s Director of Local Government Programs.
Salary & Benefits: This is a paid internship without benefits. Federal mileage rates apply.
How To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume and writing sample to Rachel Felver, Director of Communications, at email@example.com by Friday, April 14, 2017. Include “Communications Intern” in subject line. No phone inquiries, please.
Posting at: http://www.chesapeakebay.net/jobs