Classes start September 18 | 2018 Register at AACC.edu | Continuing Education Fall
Forest Conservation Qualified Professional Training | Complete state-approved training leading to the Maryland Forest Conservation Qualified Professional license. Study forest stand delineation, tree inventories and how changes in land use affects trees. CEUs issued. $325 includes $7 fee.
Note: Students must meet Maryland Department of Natural Resources’ requirements to apply for “Qualified Professional” status. Go to http://dnr.maryland.gov/ click on Trees and then FCA SP Qualified Professionals for information on requirements
OPT-306-901 Forest Conservation Qualified Professional Training
Text: State Forest Conservation Manual 3rd edition ’97
Suggested: A Field Guide to Eastern Forests: North America (Peterson Field Guides)
Suggested Tools\gear: 10x wedge prism; d-tape; handheld field compass, field vest, clip board with rain cover, 100’ tape, hand lens – 10X, Biltmore Stick. Field gear: machete, knife, rain parka, water bottle, insect repellant, sunscreen, boots, (Forestry Suppliers, Ben Meadows, & others)
Approximate Class schedule:
- Introduction. Goals and objectives of course, intro to tools, Using Map and Compass, Pacing;
- Chapter 1 State Forest Conservation Manual 3rd edition ’97 Office and field techniques, Tools needed, Tree ID, Point sampling.
- Pacing, Map & Compass; Reading Assignment: Burl Ashley, Simplified Point Sample Cruising, 1991 Field techniques, Invasives ID, Forest Stands, Reading: Field Guide to E. Forests.
- Chapter 2 FCP State Forest Conservation Manual 3rd edition ’97 FSD Process, what is required, Point sampling Forest Ecology, Tree ID, Stand delineation, Riparian buffers
- Field techniques; Setting up FSD
- Field Day ½ day Saturday, Field Practice
- Field day review; FCP Elements, worksheets Reading Assignment: Chapter 3 FCP State Forest Conservation Manual 3rd edition ’97
- Field Day – Saturday
- FCP preparation; Assignment; FSD Review Worksheet calculations Reforestation, Trees and construction, Tree protection, Reforestation. Planting Plan prep.
- Planting plans, Long term protection
- FCP wrap up, review assignment.