Hood College’s Frederick Food Security Network
AmeriCorps A*STAR Summer Opportunity.
The Frederick Food Security Network (FFSN) is a program based out of the Hood College Center for Coastal and Watershed Studies and we are a host site for the A*STAR AmeriCorps program. The FFSN operates a network of 5 community gardens and 3 greenhouses located in Frederick City food deserts. We coordinate produce distribution in order to alleviate food insecurity in our neighborhoods. Read more here.
If you like to garden or farm we need your help!
We are looking for folks to help out this summer in our community gardens and greenhouses as Agriculture Assistant AmeriCorps members.
AmeriCorps is a nationally-funded service program in the United States which is a domestic Peace Corps. It’s widely recognized and would be a terrific resume and experience builder.
Requirements include completing 300 hours of service by August 15, 2020. Service start date is ideally June 1 and on average folks will intern with us for 10 weeks volunteering 30 hours a week. At the end of your 300 hours of service you will receive an education award.
What you can expect when working with us:
- Flexible hours to fit around your work/life schedule
- Positive working environment with a team atmosphere
- Guidance and training when needed but autonomy in completing tasks
- Room for creativity, problem-solving, and opportunities to present your own ideas
- Having AmeriCorps on your resume for future employment activities
- Education award of ~$1,200 that you can put toward student debt or pay for books
- Great work experience and references
What we expect from our AmeriCorps members:
- Ideally have your own transportation and the physical ability to garden, shovel, bend, and lift
- Flexibility in understanding we work in an environment of things changing frequently, ability to adapt to those changes
- Reliability in coming at set hours (though we of course understand when things come up and just need good communication)
- Positive attitude
- Hard working and can work independently from instructions
- Team player, ability to work with others in a collaborative environment
We are looking for people to help in the gardens and greenhouses during our busiest time of year – which is now until August!
We operate 3 greenhouses houses year-round (1 on-site at Hood College, 2 an 8-minute drive away). During the spring, summer, and early fall, we have 5 gardens around Frederick City.
Duties will include: seed starts, transplants, watering, harvesting, data tracking and other duties related to growing vegetables in a greenhouse or garden site such as signage, pest management and scheduling of starting seeds, helping train and work with other volunteers, assist with occasional community events, wash and prepare produce for distribution, assist with distribution, help with garden construction as needed, and more.
Our AmeriCorps members commitment is essential to our success each growing season and we depend heavily on fabulous volunteers! They provide the power we need to manage our growing operations and get produce where it’s needed in the community, to the people who need it most.
If interested, email your resume and short letter of interest to Claire Hudson firstname.lastname@example.org
Here’s what some past students have said about working with us:
“This has been the best part of my summer!”
“It was my most rewarding job experience, and made me a part of something much bigger than myself.”
“When I left work, I was sad that I didn’t get to come back until next week.”
“I had very limited gardening experience [before starting this job], but everyone is so kind and so eager help that it’s really easy to pick up things. And I’ve really met some wonderful people along the way… It’s just been overwhelmingly good.”
Frederick Food Security Network Manager (Interim)
Coastal Studies Program Coordinator
Center for Coastal and Watershed Studies
401 Rosemont Ave., Frederick, MD 21701
Phone 301-717-6175 (cell)
Sign up for our newsletter