Join us on Saturday, April 30, 2022, from 7 am to 3 pm at Bacon Ridge Natural Area in Crownsville, MD
Scenic Rivers Land Trust’s 17th annual celebration of the natural beauty of the protected Bacon Ridge Natural Area and the joy of exploring the outdoors is back!
Registration for guided hikes and other activities is now open. This is a free event, but registration is required. Be sure to grab your spot early—popular hikes will fill up fast.
We have an exciting lineup of guided hikes being led throughout the day by experts in wildlife, native plants, birds, and more—including a new Nature Photography Hike.
Advanced registration is recommended, but not required. Hikes will be limited to a maximum of 25 participants. A few spots on each hike will be reserved for “walk in” registration on the day of the event.
Guided Hike Schedule
- 7:30 am – Bird Hike with Oliver Griffin
- 8:00 am – Archaeology Hike with AA County Cultural Resources
- 8:30 am – Nature Photography Hike with Jack Turner
- 9:00 am – Woodland Hike with Mitch Keiler and Nancy Roth
- 9:30 am – Bird Hike with Oliver Griffin
- 10:00 am – Nature Hike for all ages with Dave Walbeck
- 10:30 am – Northern Trails Hike with Phil Ferrara
- 11:00 am – Reptile & Amphibians Hike with Robert and Rosemary Frezza
- 11:30 am – Northern Trails Hike with Andrew Garte
- 12:30 pm – Woodland Hike with Dave Walbeck
Programs and Activities
To allow for more participation, the “Say My Name” remembrance ceremony honoring the Crownsville State Hospital patients buried in the Crownsville Hospital Cemetery with only numbers to mark their graves will be offered at 10 am and 12 pm.
The Colby Rucker Memorial Self-led Naturalist Hike will be offered again this year, as well as the popular with kids (and adults!) Critter Discovery with experts from Coastal Resources, Inc. Plus, we’re offering a new Spring Scavenger Hunt to add a little more fun to your hike (and a chance to earn a sticker!).
Program and Activity Schedule
- All Day – Colby Rucker Memorial Self-led Naturalist Hike
- All Day – Photo Scavenger Hunt
- 10 am – Say My Name Remembrance Ceremony
- 10:30 am to 2:30 pm – Creek Critter Discovery with Coastal Resources
- 12 pm – Say My Name Remembrance Ceremony
We anticipate a beautiful, relaxing day in our local protected woods!