The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay is seeking bids from forest planting contractors to establish new forest on 106.3 total acres in Pennsylvania during the spring 2023 planting season. Services sought also include site preparation, annual ‘turnkey’ maintenance, and replanting services on portions of those acres. Services sought entail:
- Pre-planting mowing on 4.5 acres across 2 planting sites.
- Pre-planting brush-hogging to remove autumn olive shrubs on 2.5 acres at 1 planting site
- Planting 28,843 bare-root seedlings during spring 2023 planting season (17 Sites, 106.3 Acres)
- Installation of non-perforated 5’ deer shelters on 26,838 planted stems at 16 sites
- Installation of perforated 5’ deer shelters on 1,182 planted stems at 1 site
- Installation of biodegradable 5’ deer shelters on 823 planted stems at 2 sites
- Post-planting ‘turnkey’ annual maintenance
- Two mows and two sprays on 97.35 acres across 14 sites from 2023-2025
- Two mows only on 2.75 acres at 1 site from 2023-2025
- Post-planting replanting of dead trees and shrubs from 2023-2025
- Replanting dead trees marked by Alliance staff on 100.1 acres across 14 sites
Scope of Work
The contractor shall be responsible for providing all equipment, material and supplies to complete the tree planting projects and maintenance according to the planting specifications & contractor’s responsibilities listed below. The contractor shall scalp away the turf at each tree seedling planting location, hand plant (dibble bar or hoedad only) approximately 28,843 bare-root tree seedlings, install approximately 28,843 five-foot (5’) total tree shelters, with 1”x1” white oak stakes, reversible ties, and netting on approximately 106.3 acres between April 1, 2023 and June 1, 2023. Trees and shrubs will be planted on 17 properties in 6 counties, including York, Lebanon, Mifflin, Berks, Centre, and Lancaster Counties Pennsylvania; site locations are indicated on the project spreadsheet. Full ‘Turnkey’ maintenance will consist of mowing, spraying systemic herbicide around each tree shelter, replanting, and straightening/re-staking tree shelters twice a growing season for three growing seasons from 2023-2025 on the sites identified on the project spreadsheet (97.35 acres, 14 sites). One site will receive only mowing (2.75 acres) due to its organic designation. Annual replanting will consist of replacing dead/dying trees that have been identified by Alliance staff on 100.1 acres across 15 sites.
For the full Request for Bids document, please visit: https://www.allianceforthebay.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Website-Version-Spring-2023-Forest-Planting-Contractor-Bid.pdf