Enhancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Coastal Sector
Washington, DC | September 18, 2019
As part of our ongoing commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), Restore America’s Estuaries (RAE) will be hosting an interactive workshop in the nation’s capital during National Estuaries Week 2019 focused on DEI in the coastal sector. Information on the event, registration, and sponsorship opportunities can be found at: https://estuaries.org/initiatives/dei-workshop/
Facilitated by the nationally-recognized consulting organization Avarna Group, and made possible through a grant by the National Science Foundation, this event will focus on adding a DEI lens to recruitment and hiring in the coastal community.
Facilitators will guide participants – through group discussion, collaborative activities, and best practice studies – in viewing bias through three lenses:
- Individual bias that manifests in our personal thoughts and interactions
- Institutional bias that pervades agency and organizational practices and policies – especially those in recruitment and hiring
- Bias that impacts the entire environmental sector based on the history and legacy of conservation and environmentalism
Workshop attendees will have an opportunity to:
- Gain a deeper understanding of bias in the coastal conservation, restoration, and management industry
- Learn strategies for identifying and combating bias during recruitment, hiring, and promotion processes
- Acquire actionable tools to engage in and promote DEI efforts within their own organizations
RAE encourages anyone from the coastal sector to attend, including recruiters, hiring managers, human resource practitioners, and supervisors interested in the advancement of traditionally underrepresented individuals. A special focus will be placed on issues, and subsequent solutions, within coastal research and conservation institutions.
Registration is now open. Register here »
Early bird (ends Aug. 2): $40
Full/onsite registration (ends Sept. 13): $50
*Onsite registration accepted as space permits. Registration limited to 100 individuals; we expect to reach full capacity.
Needs-based financial assistance is available to individual/organizations who would otherwise be unable to attend this event; please contact Nicole Breslin-Romano for more information.
RAE affiliate members receive a 10% discount on two registrations.
We are currently seeking additional sponsors to help ensure we can provide the most useful and impactful experience for attendees. To learn more about how your organization can support this vital effort, please review the sponsorship opportunities in our Sponsorship Brochure or contact Lance Speidell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-524-0248 x3.