The Accokeek Foundation is seeking a full-time Regenerative Agriculture Coordinator to join its team in stewarding 200 acres of Piscataway Park, a national park on the Maryland shore of the Potomac River.
Cognizant of ecological and food security challenges, the Foundation is embarking on a new initiative, the National Food Forest, the most ambitious permaculture project ever undertaken in a national park in the United States. This comprehensive vegetation management plan aims to restore a healthy forest ecosystem while highlighting the connection between regenerative agriculture and the park’s history as an indigenous cultural landscape and working farm. The Regenerative Agriculture Coordinator will play an integral role in collaboratively implementing the National Food Forest, while working with volunteers and leading educational experiences for youth.
Specific duties and responsibilities will include:
● helping design, propagate, and maintain two historic garden spaces;
● managing greenhouse and associated plants;
● assisting in regenerative agriculture research and documentation;
● supporting holistic grazing of heritage breed animals across site;
● coordinating and maintaining site-wide compost operation;
● supervising volunteers in gardening and regenerative agriculture activities;
● teaching and supervising high school and college interns;
● supporting Foundation events and programs as need
Professional Experience and Qualifications
Candidates must have:
● practical experience in organic gardening, permaculture, or urban agriculture;
● experience teaching and guiding student-led projects;
● strong organizational and project management skills;
● comfort and familiarity with office software and technology;
● excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Other skills, interests, and training that would be useful in this position include:
● field data collection and mapping (GIS);
● knowledge of historic and contemporary foodways;
● perennial greenhouse or nursery experience;
● working knowledge of native plants, forests and grasslands;
● experience and comfort working with livestock;
● academic training in a related field (biology, botany or ethnobotany, soil science, environmental or climate studies, geography).
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, 40-hour a week, non-exempt position. Starting salary range is 30-35K annually, and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter describing how your experience, skills, and interests make you uniquely qualified for this position by email with the subject line “Regenerative Agriculture Coordinator” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Accokeek Foundation
For 60 years, the Accokeek Foundation has been a steward of the land. Through a partnership with the National Park Service, the Accokeek Foundation interprets the past, present, and future of agriculture and environmental stewardship on 200 acres in Piscataway Park. The park is open daily to visitors of all ages who enjoy a quiet landscape for recreation and reflection. Annually, thousands of school children visit for farmbased education, learning about environmental stewardship through a historical lens.