Position Overview – Seasonal Part-Time Interpreter The seasonal part-time interpreter serves as an informed and friendly ambassador for the Accokeek Foundation, providing general visitor services including, visitor center retail, leading tours, school programs and assisting with events with interests in teaching, drama, history, agriculture, and the environment. Although well-rounded candidates are preferred, candidates with an ability to engage visitors will be preferred over those with strong content knowledge.
- Lead group services such as birthday parties, garden and barnyard tours, trail hikes, Escape Farm, movie nights, and other specialty programs as scheduled.
- Maintain highest quality of interpretation and visitor services.
- Master interactive tours and activities; including memorizing and performing scripts, improvising with visitors.
- Lead interpretive and educational experiences during events.
- Assist in the upkeep of the National Colonial Farm and other public space through gardening, maintenance, and other homestead chores.
- Assist with visitor services and frontline operations as required, including visitor center retail, visitor orientation, answering phones, and opening and closing the visitor center.
- Convey the mission of the Accokeek Foundation, including announcing current initiatives and upcoming events.
- Assist with general administrative duties such as mailings, data-entry, updating calendars, ordering and stocking inventory and supplies, and answering phones.
- Participate in regular training and staff meetings.
Skills and Qualifications
- Working towards Bachelor’s or equivalent work experience preferred, not required; studies in history, museum studies, museum education, environment education or other topics related to programs.
- Knowledge of or personal enthusiasm for humanities or environmental sciences related to the site.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with culturally diverse audiences, and audiences of varying ages.
- Experience working in a museum, educational, historical or cultural setting. E
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to learn.
- Interpersonal skills and diplomacy necessary to facilitate discussion around sensitive topics.
- Strong customer service and/or interacting with park visitors.
- Prior experience as an actor, teacher, or interpreter is a plus, but not required.
- Willing and able to work outside in various weather conditions.
- Willing to wear various costumes depending on program.
- Lively, outgoing personality and ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic environment.
- Proficiency with outlook, Google applications, and other basic computing skills.
- Minimum physical requirement include by are not limited to: ability to stand for periods up to 60 minutes; walk over uneven terrain; lift and carry loads of up to 30 pounds.
- Comfortable around large and small animals, specifically farm livestock.
- Applicant will be required to complete a background check prior to employment.
Hours and Compensation
Hours and Compensation: This is a part-time position that requires availability on weekdays and weekends from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm from March to December, with occasional evening availability. The pay is $11.50/hour. Responsibilities revolve around first-person and third-person improvised interactions with visitors.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter describing how your experience, skills, and interests make you uniquely qualified for this position by email with the subject line “Seasonal Part-Time Interpreter” to firstname.lastname@example.org.