About the Accokeek Foundation
For 60 years, the Accokeek Foundation has been a steward of the land. Through a partnership with the National Park Service, the Accokeek Foundation interprets the past, present, and future of agriculture and environmental stewardship on 200 acres in Piscataway Park. The park is open daily to visitors of all ages who enjoy a quiet landscape for recreation and reflection. Annually, thousands of school children visit for farm-based education, learning about environmental stewardship through a historical lens.
Position Overview – Seasonal Educator
The seasonal educator serves as an informed and friendly ambassador for the Accokeek Foundation (AF), providing educational experiences to school groups and the general public. Although well-rounded candidates are preferred, candidates with an ability to engage visitors will be preferred over those with strong content knowledge.
- Lead participants through engaging interpretive and educational experiences with K-12 schools groups, group tours and special events.
- Maintain effective communication with teachers, students, participants and staff while representing the Foundation.
- Promote and support AF values and mission through visitor engagement.
- Serve as an AF representative while operating the visitor center.
- Participate in regular internal trainings and all staff meetings.
- Assist with the upkeep of the National Colonial Farm.
- Other duties assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Studies in history, museum education, environmental education or other topics related to programs, is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with culturally diverse audiences, and audiences of varying ages.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to learn.
- Experience working in a museum, educational, historical, cultural or park setting, is preferred.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic environment.
- Proficiency with outlook, Google applications, and other basic computing skills.
- Minimum physical requirement include by are not limited to: ability to stand for periods up to 60 minutes; walk over uneven terrain; lift and carry loads of up to 30 pounds and work in various weather conditions.
- Comfortable around large and small animals, specifically farm livestock.
- Applicant will be required to complete a background check prior to employment.
Hours and Compensation
This is a seasonal position that requires availability on weekdays and weekends from 9:00 am – 5:00pm, with occasional evening availability. This position allows up to 40 hours weekly from March – December with limited hours in the off season (Jan/Feb). This is an hourly paid position with a pay of $12.50/hour. Health care benefits are available if eligibility requirements are met.
Training for new educators will begin March 2, 2020.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter describing how your experience, skills, and interests make you uniquely qualified for this position by email with the subject line “Seasonal Educator” to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to: Accokeek Foundation c/o Seasonal Educator, 3400 Bryan Point Road, Accokeek, MD 20607. Applicant will be required to complete a background check prior to employment.