Create and implement strategic communication efforts for the Alice Ferguson Foundation, including website content, social media outreach, media relations, print and electronic publications, and other outreach materials, and measure analytics for organizational advancement.
2. Essential Functions:
- Develop and execute an annual communications plan to strategically ensure that AFF’s mission and initiatives are well understood and widely known.Ensure communications tools, including website, social media channels, mass email communications, and publications use consistent messaging and branding to advance the organization’s mission and fundraising goals.
- Manage all media relations and outreach for AFF programs and events.
- Prepare media contact lists, perform outreach to media outlets, prepare press releases and other media tools, and track earned media.
- Manage all social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc.Coordinate website content and updates organization-wide, including a comprehensive audit and restructuring as needed.
- Manage lists in MailChimp.
- Organize and manage online photo library.
- Coordinate production of materials and publications including Annual Report, newsletters, brochures, event materials, etc. that incorporate the Foundation’s brand standards.
- Enhance organizational communications, including integration and effective use of contact and program databases, email communications management systems, and integration of online fundraising, registration and payment systems.
- Assist with donor and sponsor engagement through strategic communication and outreach activities.
- Participate in special events: Pinot on the Potomac, Potomac River Cleanup, member events and other AFF-sponsored events as needed.
- Assist program and management teams as needed, including some capacity development for digital or print communication.
3. Scope of Work
- Work takes place primarily at the main office in Accokeek, MD and is in support of communication needs for entire staff and board designated priorities. Work is primarily sedentary but can occasionally involve physical tasks.
4. AFF Functions
- Professional Standards of Conduct
- Exhibit teamwork and cooperation by sharing knowledge, coordinating duties with other staff, and demonstrating the willingness to assist others as needed.
- Exhibit leadership by taking initiative, mentoring, and problem-solving.
- Dress appropriately, use time wisely and meet deadlines.
- Treat staff members, students, teachers, partners, and visitors with courtesy and respect.
- Initiate and respond positively to suggestions for improving service.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing, including emails, press releases, promotional materials, newsletter articles, social media, website, and other documents. Assist in documenting AFF activities via digital images and video.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- Promote and support the values and mission of AFF in all outreach and visitor contact.
5. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Enthusiastic and positive self-starter, with ability to write, edit, and proofread text; create and post engaging and visually appealing print and online content; design and project manage printing of materials such as outreach brochures, flyers, advertisements, newsletters and annual reports.
- Ability to enjoy a fast-paced working environment.
- Comfortable with public speaking and cultivating and managing relationships with a variety of audiences, including stakeholders and the media.
- Strong commitment to the environment and an understanding of marketing and the importance of communication role in nonprofit fundraising.
- Excellent oral, written, and visual design skills.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required and Adobe Creative Suite encouraged.
- Experience working with HTML, WordPress websites, and MailChimp is desired.
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years of experience.