AmeriCorps Member at Nanticoke Watershed Alliance
The Nanticoke Watershed Alliance (NWA) works primarily in Sussex County, DE, and in Dorchester and Wicomico Counties in Maryland to conserve the natural, cultural, and recreational resources of the Nanticoke River watershed. Major programs at NWA are the Nanticoke Creekwatchers Volunteer Water Monitoring Program; environmental education (primarily working with seventh graders in Wicomico County); SAV monitoring on local waterways; outreach programs that focus on backyard conservation activities geared toward homeowners; recreational paddles and use of waterways; and trash clean-ups.
AmeriCorps Member responsibilities with the Nanticoke Watershed Alliance will include:
- Assisting with the Nanticoke Creekwatchers program (training volunteers, monitoring sites, assisting with sample collection and lab delivery and analysis)
- Leading programs on field trips and assisting with stewardship activities at Wicomico County middle schools
- Assisting with outreach programs, trash cleanups, and at outreach events in the community
Benefits available to AmeriCorps Member include:
- Valuable experience
- A bi-weekly stipend of $583
- An education award of $6,095 for future educational expenses or repayment of student loans
- Federal student loan forbearance while in service, with exemption from paying interest accrued during that time
- 6 tuition-free credits at Salisbury University for completion of training course
- Health insurance and child care reimbursement, if eligible
- Access to AmeriCorps Alumni Network
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- Have a strong interest in serving the community
- Be able to relate to diverse populations
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Able to provide copy of either high school diploma, GED, or college transcript
- Have reliable transportation
- Be available to attend the tuition-free, AmeriCorps class at Salisbury University bi-weekly during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Must successfully pass a comprehensive Criminal History Check, which includes FBI fingerprinting
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident alien
- Applicants DO NOT need to be college students, anyone from the community who fits the above requirements may participate.
The member will begin on or after August 15th, 2019 and must complete 1700 hours by August 14th, 2020.
This position is offered through a partnership with ShoreCorps, the AmeriCorps program at Salisbury University. It is contingent upon federal funding and approval of the AmeriCorps office.
To fill out an application, visit www.salisbury.edu/americorps and click on ‘Become a Member.’