AmeriCorps Member at Wicomico Environmental Trust
Wicomico Environmental Trust is seeking a half-time AmeriCorps Member to help develop, plan, and execute volunteer activities associated with WET’s Wicomico Creekwatcher water monitoring program and WET’s work with the Wicomico One Water Partnership project.
The Wicomico Environmental Trust (WET) is a 501c(3) non-profit dedicated to protecting, preserving, and restoring the natural resources of Wicomico County, MD through education, advocacy, and community building.
Duties and responsibilities of the position include:
- Organizing and Leading 1-2 Outdoor Environmental Education Programs
- Assisting with the Development of an Annual Environmental Movie Event
- Assisting with the Recruitment, Training, and Supervision of Volunteers for the Creekwatcher Water Monitoring Program
- Organizing 1-2 Tree Planting Events in Collaboration with the Wicomico One Water Partnership Project
- Providing General Administrative Support to the Creekwatcher Water Monitoring Program and the Wicomico One Watershed Partnership Project
Benefits available to the AmeriCorps Member include:
- Valuable experience
- A bi-weekly stipend of $252.08
- An education award of $3,047.50 for future educational expenses or repayment of federal student loans
- Federal student loan forbearance while in service, with exemption from paying interest accrued during this time
- 6 tuition-free credits at Salisbury University for completion of the training course
- Access to AmeriCorps Alumni Network
Requirements for AmeriCorps applicants include the following:
- Have a strong interest in serving the community
- Be able to relate to diverse populations
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Able to provide copy of either high school diploma, GED, or college transcript
- Have reliable transportation
- Be available to attend the tuition-free, AmeriCorps class at Salisbury University bi-weekly during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Must successfully pass a comprehensive Criminal History Check, which includes FBI fingerprinting
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident alien
- Applicants DO NOT need to be college students, anyone from the community who fits the above requirements may participate.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have/Be:
- Strong people skills and the ability to work with diverse volunteers
- Strong organizational skills and the competency to independently plan, organize, and lead projects and programs
- General familiarity and knowledge of environmental and water-quality issues facing the Chesapeake Region
- Strong general computer skills and the ability to use email, Microsoft Office, and other general office equipment
- A team player with a good sense of humor
- Education: Some College – preferably with a background in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Studies, or other science related field
The member will begin on or after August 15th, 2019 and must complete 900 hours by August 14th, 2020.
This position is offered through a partnership with ShoreCorps, the AmeriCorps program at Salisbury University. It is contingent upon federal funding and approval of the AmeriCorps office.
To fill out an application, visit www.salisbury.edu/americorps and click on ‘Become a Member.’