Irvine Nature Center is a non-profit educational organization that offers programs of environmental studies and natural science to children and adults of the greater Baltimore area. Our mission is to educate and inspire current and future generations to explore, respect and protect nature.
Volunteer Position Description:
As an Irvine Nature Center Animal Care Volunteer, you will get first-hand experience caring for and improving the lives of Irvine Nature Center’s ambassador animals. You will be responsible for assisting the Animal Care Manager and Coordinator with the daily care and maintenance of the animals and the exhibits they inhabit.
• Supply proper food/nutrition and fresh water on a daily basis
• Clean enclosures and monitor all lights, pumps, etc. are in working order
• Facilitate animal enrichment activities for mental stimulation of ambassador animals
• Learn how to properly handle animals and assist with basic medical care as needed
o List of animal ambassadors: Virginia opossum, guinea pig, hedgehog, leopard gecko, fish, toads, as well as various species of turtles, snakes, frogs, and raptors.
• Research best practices specific to species and assist with creation of educational information sheets
• College age or older (18+) with reliable transportation
• Commit to 12 hours/month (schedule will be worked out with Animal Care Manager)
• Must have some prior animal care and handling experience
• Be willing to get dirty and not afraid to handle reptiles, amphibians, insects and small mammals (raptor handling a plus)
• Work well with others and maintain a professional, friendly manner
• Be able to take initiative and work alone at times
• Must take volunteer commitment seriously and communicate promptly with Animal Care Manager if commitment cannot be kept
• Minimum of 12 hours/month, broken down into a schedule that works for both volunteer and animal care schedule
TO APPLY: Please fill out the Volunteer Application on our website at https://www.explorenature.org/get-involved/volunteer/ before sending your resume and three references to our Volunteer Coordinator, Maggie Winkler, at WinklerM@ExploreNature.org.