(Annapolis, MD) Chesapeake Bay Program Web Content Specialist
February 14, 2020
About the Alliance:
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay is a regional nonprofit organization whose mission is to bring together individuals, organizations, businesses, and governments to find collaborative solutions, to build a strong commitment to stewardship, and to deliver innovative, broadly-supported programs that benefit the land, waters, and residents of the Chesapeake Bay. In partnership, the Alliance implements local programs that connect people to their local river and become directly involved in local restoration efforts. The Alliance was founded in 1971 and has offices in Annapolis, MD, Lancaster, PA, Washington, D.C., and Richmond, VA.
About the Chesapeake Bay Program:
The Chesapeake Bay Program is a diverse federal/state/non-government partnership established in 1983. It works to restore and protect the Chesapeake Bay and the thousands of streams, creeks and rivers in the watershed through collaborative policy making, scientific assessment and public communication. The Communications Office is managed by the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay under grant funding provided by the Environmental Protection Agency.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay seeks a Web Content Specialist for the Chesapeake Bay Program Communications Office in Annapolis, Maryland. This position is an integral part of the overall Communications Office, central to our successful online communications efforts and responsible for the creation, maintenance and marketing of consistent high quality web content for the CBP website (www.chesapeakebay.net). Deadline to apply is Friday, February 14, 2020.
Specific Duties of the Position:
- Planning, writing, editing and developing engaging written and visual content for the CBP website.
- Managing editorial calendars to schedule and organize timely and relevant annual web content, including blogs.
- Setting and managing social media strategy and performance metrics for all channels; running CBP Facebook account.
- Providing analysis of analytics for CBP website and social media accounts.
- Using analytics and user data to improve web content, market online products effectively and report trends to the wider Communications and Web Teams.
- Working with CBP Communications Office and Web Team, subject matter experts and Bay Program partners to create and maintain user-friendly web content that supports the work of the CBP.
- Completing comprehensive internal audit of CBP website.
- Developing a content strategy for the CBP website.
- Upholding content quality standards and maintaining consistent writing style and voice across the site.
- Designing fact sheets, brochures and publications.
- Promoting web content through social media, a suite of e-newsletters and networking both online and in person.
- Staying current with trends and best practices for social media, newsletter and web content.
- Acting as a liaison between the CBP Communications Office and Web Team.
- Responding to public questions and information requests via email, social media, FAQs and blog comments.
- Assisting with other communications projects, as necessary.
Qualifications & Experience:
- At least two years’ experience writing, editing and marketing content for the web.
- Proficient in social media outreach and other online marketing of products.
- Understanding of audience analyses with ability to develop and tailor web content that meets the specialized needs of various audiences.
- Basic knowledge of graphic design, with experience using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Basic knowledge of HTML.
- Proficient in understanding of web technology including content management systems.
- Excellent written and verbal abilities with high attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and storytelling expertise.
- Self-motivated, organized, creative and a team-player.
- Familiarity with AP Style.
- Ability to write concisely and effectively to meet the interest and needs of different audience (including teachers, students, local and state governments and the general public) and in a manner that moves that audience to act on behalf of the Bay.
- Experience in understanding and communicating complex scientific and policy issues or information.
- Passion for environmental issues, preferably related to the Chesapeake Bay.
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. We are committed to ensuring diversity and inclusion remain integral to our organizational structure, policies, board of directors, staff, strategic goals, grants, partnerships and program delivery.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay offers a family and dog-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to apply.
Supervision: The Chesapeake Bay Program Web Content Specialist reports directly to the Chesapeake Bay Program Communications Director.
Hours and Location: This position is based at the Chesapeake Bay Program office near downtown Annapolis, Maryland, with occasional travel throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed (Delaware, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia and Washington, D.C.). Candidates must be willing and able to pass a federal background check.
Salary: $50,000+, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits are available.
Application: Please email cover letter, resume, writing sample, design sample and references to Rachel Felver, Director of Communications at email@example.com by Friday, February 14, 2020. Include “Web Content Specialist” in subject line. No phone calls, please.