The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park (AMM) is a major community asset serving Anne Arundel County and beyond. A volunteer board of 16 distinguished community members and a professional staff oversee the operations and long-range planning for this tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. We are proud to share that our thriving cohort of nearly 250 volunteers are involved in all aspects of the Museum’s functions.
AMM educates youth and adults about the Annapolis area’s rich maritime heritage and the ecology of the Chesapeake Bay through programs, exhibits, and community events. We accomplish this mission through an engaging suite of hands-on programming and by bringing visitors to our unique locations on Back Creek overlooking the Chesapeake Bay.
The Education Center at the Museum’s new park campus offers three core education programs, as well as field trips, family programs, afterschool programs, summer camp, and more. The Education Center annually serves more than 12,000 students.
AMM hosts numerous events and programs throughout the year (e.g. Boatyard Beach Bash, Summer and September Sunset Concert Series, Winter Lecture Series, and heritage tours aboard the Museum’s Skipjack)
The AMM Development Director (Director) is responsible for securing financial support for AMM by developing and driving the comprehensive fund development plan across multiple fundraising initiatives including corporate sponsorship, major gifts, individual donations, membership and grants. The Director reports to the President & CEO and partners closely with the Board of Directors, Capital Campaign Chair and Committee, and is a member of AMM’s Management Team.
REQUIRED ATTRIBUTES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Fundraising experience required with demonstrated track record, including managing Board of Director and Campaign Committee engagement
- Strategic and critical thinker
- Demonstrated organizational, planning, and time management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Mature, self-starter, personally motivated leader and team player
- High level attention to detail
- Proven ability to handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
- Established ability to keep and maintain confidential and secure records and information
- Confident, socially and self-aware, sense of humor
- Competence in computer software, including Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, and e-Tapestry (or other fundraising database)
- Solid understanding of fundraising metrics and best practices
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent professional experience
Fund Development Planning, Tracking, and Reporting
- Responsible for developing the annual comprehensive Development Plan, in collaboration with the President & CEO, with targeted goals, objective outcomes, and timelines that align with the Board-approved strategic plan and budget (approximately $1,400,000 per year – excludes capital budget).
- Create and maintain progress-tracking documents that support the plans.
- Manage the AMM Capital Campaign plan and timeline, working closely with consultants, ED, Capital Campaign Committee and the Board.
Donor Identification, Cultivation, Solicitation, Stewardship, and Appreciation
- Organize a systematic approach to facilitate donor identification and research, cultivation, solicitation donor management, and stewardship, recognition and appreciation.
- Ensure proactive, ongoing contact with prospective and current donors to cultivate and solicit gifts in support of AMM programs and services.
- Maintain accurate current records in database and in paper files, including contact information, gifts, noteworthy information, grant tracking and reporting.
- Create and manage opportunities for Board of Directors and Capital Campaign Committee engagement in fundraising.
- Develop concept, content, and copy for fundraising initiatives including but not limited to proposals, case statements, brochures, donor profiles, and letters.
- Manage and write all major gift acknowledgements.
- Represent AMM at external events and activities.
- Oversee the development of the Annual Report.
- Develop custom donor, corporate, and hospitality events.
- Manage and execute the AMM Capital Campaign plan and timeline, working closely with the Board/Campaign Chair, President & CEO, Board of Directors, Capital Campaign Committee, and consultant.
- Develop, manage and execute the Annual Appeal Campaign.
- Assist the President & CEO in securing public funding for AMM Capital Campaign.
- Execute strategic aspects of member recruitment and retention plans while growing and strengthening member relations.
- Strategically connect membership to fundraising strategies.
- Plan and implement the research identification, cultivation, solicitation, renewal and upgrade process for corporate sponsorships.
- Prepare appropriate presentation materials such as research, letters, proposals and detailed work plans for sponsors and/or prospects.
- Negotiate and close sponsorship commitments. Prepare necessary documents and agreements.
- Ensure through tracking that all sponsorship obligations are met.
- Conduct measurement of return on investment (ROI) of sponsorship.
- Responsible for researching, writing and securing capacity building grants. (2-3 annually)
Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This position is supported with a full-time Development/Communications Coordinator.
Location: Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park, 723 Second St., PO Box 3088, Annapolis, MD 21403
Reports to: Alice Estrada, President & CEO
Hours: Exempt (Salary); some evenings and weekends required.
Travel: Within Anne Arundel County and occasionally the surrounding area (e.g. Baltimore)
Compensation: Annapolis Maritime Museum offers competitive salary based on qualifications and offers a full-time benefit package which includes health, vision, dental, short term disability, life insurance, 401K retirement, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO.)
Send resume and cover letter to by 5:00 p.m. on October 30th, 2019:
Alice Estrada, President & CEO
Subject Line: Development Director Position