(Annapolis, MD)- Finance Assistant at the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
October 11, 2019
About the Alliance:
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (Alliance) is a regional nonprofit organization whose mission is to bring together individuals, organizations, businesses, and governments to find collaborative solutions, to build a strong commitment to stewardship, and to deliver innovative, broadly-supported programs that benefit the land, waters, and residents of the Chesapeake Bay. In partnership, the Alliance implements local programs that connect people to their local river and become directly involved in local restoration efforts. The Alliance was founded in 1971 and has offices in Annapolis, MD, Lancaster, PA, Washington, D.C., and Richmond, VA.
This position is an integral part of the Alliance’s Finance Team. The Finance Assistant is responsible for day-to-day transactions for the Alliance. This includes processing income and expenses associated with over 100 unique accounts, recording and maintaining financial records of those accounts, calculating and submitting payroll for staff, and various other financial tasks in support of the organization. The position requires strong attention to detail, effective organizational, and communication skills.
Specific Duties of the Position:
- Process invoices, check requests, match credit card receipts to statements, and check requests from staff members in both the headquarters and remote offices
- Communicate with grant staff, both on-site and remote, on any outstanding items relating to income and expenses; basic understanding of financial status of grant accounts
- Collect and review timesheets from all staff, maintain master time spreadsheet
- Allocate timesheets to job codes and provide payroll updates as needed, calculate payroll and post to accounts
- Maintain accounts payable, cash receipts and grant paper files
- Post income and expenses to corresponding grant accounts
- Assist the Director of Finance as needed to complete year-end reconciliations and prepare for annual audit
- Provide support and guidance as needed to the Director of Finance and Grants Manager
Qualifications & Experience:
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business or a related field preferred; work experience may be substituted
- Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to manage multiple tasks – correct data entry is a must
- Effective writing and other communication skills – proactive communication and problem solving is necessary
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Desire and ability to work independently in a self-directed, small-office environment and to manage priorities and meet deadlines especially during times of peak activity
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Experience with Sage accounting software a definite plus
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential and sensitive information
- Non-profit experience a plus
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. We are committed to ensuring diversity and inclusion remain integral to our organizational structure, policies, board of directors, staff, strategic goals, grants, partnerships and program delivery.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay offers a family and dog-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.
Supervision: The Finance Assistant reports directly to the Director of Finance.
Hours and Location: The Finance Assistant will be based at the Alliance’s Headquarters in Annapolis, MD with some ability to work from home after an initial orientation period. Infrequent night and weekend work may be required. The position advertised is full-time (40 hours per week).
Salary: $40,000+, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits are available.
Application: Please email your cover letter, résumé, and list of 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, October 11, 2019. Indicate “Finance Assistant” in the email subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.