Job Type: Full time
The Oyster Recovery Partnership (ORP) is a non-profit that provides integrated, multidisciplinary science-based solutions to improve large-scale oyster restoration, the sustainable management of oysters and other fisheries, and oyster aquaculture. ORP is seeking a Mid-Level Coastal Resource Scientist to support projects focused on oyster restoration and monitoring and improving the management and sustainable use of Chesapeake Bay fishery resources in Annapolis, MD.
This position is responsible to support the execution of the following programs:
- Comprehensive Commercial Harvest Reporting and Fisheries Management System
Assist with the development and support of an electronic fisheries management system.
- Supporting and conducting fisheries harvest monitoring and verification techniques.
- Documenting commercial blue crab and finfish harvest at the dockside.
- Conducting phone interviews with watermen using the harvest reporting system.
- Assist in the compilation of data and other information used to evaluate system performance.
- Participate as a member of a team to apply management system to additional Maryland commercial species.
- Oyster Restoration and Monitoring Support
Assist with oyster restoration and monitoring activities.
- Participating in on-water oyster restoration and aquaculture monitoring activities including field collection, surveys, data management, analysis, and diving operations.
- Assist with reporting restoration activates through reports and data summaries.
- Outreach and Education.
- Participate in ORP outreach and special event activities on weekdays and/or weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree Marine Science (biology, fisheries, or ecology), oceanography, or related discipline and 5 years of relevant work experience, or Master’s degree and 2 year of experience, preferred.
- Experience managing and analyzing fishery dependent and independent data.
- Coordinating data collection tasks, data management and quality control and assurance objectives.
- Ability to manage projects and tasks with multiple objectives and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Comfortable being on vessels conducting operations on large bodies of water such as the Chesapeake Bay.
- Ability to effectively interact with the public.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite Software (Access Database a plus).
- Outstanding writing and oral presentation skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Reliable transportation.
Position Status and Benefits:
The position is a full-time permanent (40 hours) with full benefits including health, 401K, and paid time off. Salary is commensurate with experience. The primary duty station for this position is Annapolis, Maryland. Regular in-state travel to meetings and project locations is required. Occasional weekend work is required. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
For consideration, please send cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Job Opening_ Jr. Coastal Resource Scientist
No phone calls please
Resumes will be accepted until August 15, 2019.