About the Museum: The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park (AMM) is a major community asset serving Anne Arundel County and beyond. AMM educates youth and adults about the Annapolis area’s rich maritime heritage and the ecology of the Chesapeake Bay through programs, exhibits, and community events. We accomplish this mission through an engaging suite of hands-on programming and by bringing visitors to our two campuses on Back Creek.
A volunteer board of 17 distinguished community members and a professional staff oversee the operations and long-range planning for this tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. We are proud to share that our thriving cohort of nearly 250 volunteers are involved in all aspects of the Museum’s functions.
The Education Center at the Museum’s new park campus offers four core education programs, as well as field trips, family programs, afterschool programs, summer camp, and more. The Education Center annually serves more than 12,000 students.
AMM hosts numerous events and programs throughout the year (e.g., Boatyard Beach Bash, Tides & Tunes Summer Concerts and September Sunsets Concert Series, Winter Lecture Series, and a variety of tours aboard the Museum’s Skipjack).
Position Summary: The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park (AMM) seeks an Associate Communications Manager who will execute the overall marketing and communications goals of the Annapolis Maritime Museum. This position will play a key role in communicating AMM’s impact to a wide variety of audiences utilizing earned and paid media (website, social media and marketing materials). Key strengths in the ideal candidate are exceptional writing and communication skills, proficiency in social media, attention to detail, and creativity. The candidate will provide and oversee strategic marketing and communications plans as well as assist in event planning and implementation.
This is a full-time position located at the 723 Second Street location in Annapolis, Maryland and reports to the President/CEO.
• Oversees the implementation of the organization’s comprehensive communications and marketing plan designed to advance the mission and strategic goals of the organization.
• Supports the marketing material development, communications, and branding efforts across the organization with a multi-channel approach to diverse constituents and respective target audiences (local community, membership, teachers, visitors, families, corporate, brides).
• Monitors industry issues and competitive landscape to adjust positioning and messaging as required.
• Crafts compelling content for all communications channels in support of the mission and vision of the organization.
• Executes strategies on all third-party digital marketing channels to ensure brand consistency of creative direction and messaging. This includes posting on-brand photos, videos, and copy to all social platforms and leverage best practices in content and cadence.
• Identifies opportunities for diverse audiences and traffic growth across all social platforms and managing our content calendar. Post, monitor, and engage on social media platforms daily.
• Works directly with the agencies or designer on creative and graphics.
• Coordinates execution of project plans and deadlines to achieve all marketing objectives on time and within established budgets.
• Provides quality control on final products/materials and messaging.
• Proves proficient with MS Office products (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and Adobe Creative Suite including Adobe Spark or Canva.
• Proficient using web content management, analytics, and dashboard tools (e.g., WordPress, Google Analytics).
• Writes, edits, and develops media releases and other written communications.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, writing, and proofreading skills.
• Basic administrative duties.
• Assists with planning, design, implementation, and logistical support for events including the museum’s two annual fundraisers, its annual summer concert series, its September sunsets concert series, and more.
• Manages vendors & suppliers and manages contracts, permits, and events related correspondence.
• Conducts post-event evaluations and report on outcomes.
Required Qualifications & Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree with a focus on writing and communications.
• Strong writing and verbal communications skills, including producing content for websites, newsletters, and social media platforms.
• Detail-oriented and able to manage multiple projects and tasks.
• Desire and ability to work independently in a self-directed, small-office environment and to manage priorities and meet deadlines especially during times of peak activity.
• Proficient in WordPress, Adobe Spark, or Canva.
• Solid interpersonal and organizational skills.
Hours: Exempt (Salary); some evenings and weekends required. Flex schedules available.
Travel: Within Anne Arundel County and occasionally the surrounding area (e.g. Baltimore)
Compensation: Annapolis Maritime Museum offers competitive salary based on qualifications. Salary range $43,000 – $48,000/year. AMM offers a full-time benefit package which includes:
• Short term disability
• Life insurance
• 401K retirement
• Paid holidays
• Paid time off (PTO)
To apply, send cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com with the position title and your first and last name in the subject line.
The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Visit our website at www.amaritime.org