The Baltimore County Environmental Protection & Sustainability (EPS) seeks a paid summer intern for their Forest Management Section. The Forest Management section of EPS oversees Baltimore County’s reforestation and urban tree planting programs under the state-mandated Forest Conservation Laws and the municipal NPDES stormwater permit. Tree planting programs include reforestation on private and public land, street trees, and landscape trees throughout Baltimore County.
The intern will be based in the Cockeysville, MD office, located in the historic Alms House. They will work closely with the Natural Resource Specialist on maintenance and monitoring of reforestation and other tree plantings. Tasks include reforestation site assessments and monitoring, reforestation maintenance, completion of maintenance and inspection reports, GIS/GPS mapping, and data entry. A valid ID/license is required for entry on public school property. Reforestation maintenance could include:
- Shelter and stake upkeep, removal, or replacement,
- Invasive species management, and
- Tree planting.
- Student pursing a degree in natural resource management, forestry, or a closely related field.
- Experience with native forest species and exotic invasive weeds and insects.
- Ability to work outside in adverse weather conditions, remote areas, and in areas of high grass.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring strenuous physical activity.
- Experience with a handheld GPS unit and ArcGIS
- Experience with tree planting and maintenance
Hours: 34 hours per week (7:00am – 3:00pm)
Duration: 8 weeks during the summer months
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.