Title: Assistant Director of Environmental and Outdoor Education
Location: 2914 Roderick Road, Frederick, Maryland 21704
To Apply: Please email resume to Shannon Richardson – firstname.lastname@example.org
Start Date: As soon as possible/March 1st 2019
Position opens Thursday, January 31st and closes once it is filled.
Applications will be reviewed as received and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Bar-T Mountainside is a growing outdoor and environmental education facility, located in Frederick, Maryland on 115 acres. We offer a broad range of experiential learning opportunities tailored to the unique needs of our customers. Our customers include public and private schools, youth groups, athletic teams, corporate groups and private parties. Our programing includes stream studies, renewable energy, agriculture, along with high and low ropes and team building. We work with a diverse range of ages and backgrounds, offering day and overnight experiences. Our work is constantly progressing and evolving. This position would be a great opportunity for someone looking to grow with a dynamic organization.
About the Position
This is a full-time position that has two components, school year and summer. The roles and responsibilities of the position will change based on the time of year. The school year runs from September to June. The role of the position during the school year will include: outdoor and environmental education, curriculum development, administrative tasks, overnight retreats, and special events. The summer camp season runs 10-11 weeks from June through August. The role of this position during summer camp includes, but is not limited to leading a camp group, assisting with specialty camps, pool operations, or ropes course instruction. The final role will be determined based on openings, qualifications, and skill set. The camp day runs from 8:30 to 4:00 with occasional extended hours.
• Associates and/or Bachelors in Environmental Studies/Science, Biology, Agriculture,
• 2+ years experience working in science-based education, environmental nonprofits,
field-based research/studies, or agriculture
• Demonstrated experience working with school age children/team building/event
• Demonstrated experience/comfort with managing staff and volunteers
• Must be able to work weekends during peak seasons (spring and fall)
• Must be able to work extended hours (up to 60/week during peak season)
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds
• Must be able to work under physically demanding conditions
• Comfortable working on your feet for long periods of time
• Comfortable working outside in all weather conditions
• Completion of Ropes Certification (training will be provided by Bar-T on-site)
• Comfort with heights (50 feet)
• Background Check and Finger Printing (at time of contract)
Seasonally this job is very demanding. Off-season we work a more regular 40-hour/week schedule Monday through Friday.
Roles and Responsibilities
The amount of time spent on any one role will vary based on the season, schedule, staffing, and other contributing factors. Duties will include, but are not be limited to:
Outdoor Education – 40%
• Create new programming to meet the needs of our participants and grow target base.
• Deliver full day and evening programming that may incorporate high and low ropes.
• Initiate and build relationships with groups and participants.
• Be available and reachable before and after hours on occasion.
• Attend classes and training to maintain and build low ropes and team building skill
Environmental Education – 25%
• Facilitate and teach in-class and on-site lessons.
• Develop and deliver new lessons.
• Create opportunity for students to draw meaningful connections between curriculum
• Collaborate with farm manager on curriculum development and programming.
• Garden and high tunnel planting and care.
• Attend conferences and networking events to further knowledge base and explore
Administrative – 25%
• Meeting and communicating with group leaders, educators, and customers to discuss prospective programming/events, objectives, and details.
• Draft proposals and contracts for prospective clients.
• Assist in coordinating the scheduling and staffing needs for events.
Events and Facilities- 10%
• Coordinate and execute on-site events. (corporate picnics, mitzvahs, and weddings)
• Assist with set up and clean up for events.
• Help with routine upkeep.
Depends on the assigned position.
Compensation & Benefits
• Salary Range $32,500 – $40,000
• Overtime Available (Peak Season)
• Health & Dental Benefits
• 401K Matching
• Tuition Reimbursement