The Chesapeake Conservancy (Conservancy) is currently accepting applications for two Bilingual Interpretive Outreach Assistants. These positions are based out of Annapolis, Maryland and may require travel throughout the state of Maryland.
Salary is $15 per hour and this is a seasonal position with no benefits.
The Conservancy and its State partner, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, are working to provide relevant public programs in English and Spanish at Sandy Point State Park in Annapolis, MD. Two Bilingual Interpretive Outreach Assistants will carry out education programs and outreach at Sandy Point State Park, with the opportunity to travel to various partner sites throughout Maryland with the National Park Service Chesapeake Bay Office’s mobile interpretive vehicle, the Chesapeake Roving Ranger.
Successful candidates must be able to communicate with and assist Spanish-speaking park visitors, work independently in the field and perform various interpretive, educational and administrative duties, including:
• develop and lead nature programs and hikes;
• provide general customer service and park information to visitors;
• communicate with visitors while assisting with park operations (e.g. beach patrol, search and rescue, traffic control);
• develop program advertisements and assist with public relations;
• creating a positive, fun, and safe environment for visitors of all ages and backgrounds by being hospitable, approachable and engaging;
• initiating conversations with visitors and answering questions to promote curiosity and relevance;
• responding verbally to visitor inquiries for information, direction, and/or guidance;
• engaging visitors with conversation, hands-on activities, stories and other creative pathways that spark a personal connection to the Chesapeake Bay;
• performing other duties as assigned.
Work is performed indoors and outdoors under various weather conditions. Applicants must be available to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as scheduled.
The shift hours for this position vary; examples of shift hours include 7am – 4:30pm, 9am- 6:30pm. The positions require work on weekends, with two consecutive weekdays off. Shifts may be as long as 12 hours per day. Minimum of 30 hours per week, not to exceed 40 hours per week.
Education: Possession of a high school diploma or high school equivalence certificate.
Experience: Possess a basic knowledge of natural and cultural history; have experience working with the public; hold solid communications skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions; and ability to work in a team setting.
• Age 18 or over.
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
• Ability to understand verbal and written instructions.
• Adherence to all State and Federal laws.
• Adherence to all State and Federal safety regulations.
• Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time, climb and descend steps, engage in frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and reaching.
• Ability to work outside in all types of weather, resulting in exposure to cold, heat and humidity, rain, wind, direct sunlight, etc.
• Attendance at all required trainings.
• Maintain a neat and clean appearance and wear appropriate issued uniform correctly.
• Ability to lift up to 30 pounds on a regular basis.
• Availability to work weekends, evening, days and holidays as scheduled.
• Reliable transportation required.
Final candidates will be subject to a background check.
The Chesapeake Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, color, age, sex, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, refusal to submit to a genetic test or to make available genetic test results, or any other legally protected characteristic.