The Communications Specialist (CS) leads Blue Water Baltimore’s communications to build brand awareness and engage existing and new audiences. The CS writes content, manages social media, and develops relationships with key media outlets. The CS communicates Blue Water Baltimore’s messaging via highly shareable content that is creative and on-brand. The CS develops creative ways to demonstrate our organizational presence through multi-media.
Blue Water Baltimore’s mission is to restore the quality of Baltimore’s rivers, streams and Harbor to foster a healthy environment, a strong economy, and thriving communities. Blue Water Baltimore is 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that accomplishes a wide range of work and partners with diverse organizations and community stakeholders to reach its restoration, greening, and advocacy goals. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Read more at www.bluewaterbaltimore.org.
- Develop and maintain familiarity with Blue Water Baltimore’s projects, focal areas, advocacy issues, and strategic plan in order to develop interesting, informative, and innovative ways to communicate our work and engage audiences
- Work primarily with executive director, engagement manager, and board Communications & Marketing Committee to develop an annual strategic communications calendar that capitalizes on internal and external activities and events
- Work with all staff to ensure consistent messaging and language in all communications, including solicitations, volunteer communications, reports, and electronic outreach
- Collaborate in development and implementation of marketing and communications strategies across multiple platforms and formats
- Be an active participant in the BWB Engagement Committee and outreach activities, including tabling, public speaking, and use of social media to raise visibility of our work and meaningful news
- Provide staff support to board Marketing & Communications committee, including meeting preparation and follow-up, and actively engage committee members to further communications goals, including utilizing committee expertise to develop new content and collateral, test marketing ideas, and solve communications challenges
- Write, edit and manage content for BWB social media channels, website, electronic newsletters, and other external collateral
- Develop press releases, written statements, opinion editorials and letters-to-the-editor to actively place Blue Water Baltimore’s messaging and policy positions in the media
- Work with staff to keep web content, blog posts, electronic newsletters, Facebook, Instagram content, and collateral up to date and relevant
- Develop and execute innovative ways to explain BWB work, share advocacy and event information, and engage audiences in feedback and/or calls to action
- Monitor changes in social media tools and trends to ensure Blue Water Baltimore remains current
- Collaborate with BWB staff to develop communication materials (e.g., fact sheets, brochures, press releases, etc.) for print and digital distribution
- Identify and track evaluation metrics to assess success of communication materials and strategies, including social media
- Serve as a point of contact for the media and actively work to increase media coverage of BWB activities and events
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Three years of experience in communicating with broad audiences, including regular content development (writing), strategic use of digital media and platforms, content management systems, and web publishing
- Demonstrated experience running social media channels (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube), and experience using Facebook to manage and schedule content, publish ads, engage audiences, and analyze results with an eye toward improvements
- Proven experience with website content management systems, preferably Word Press and Google Analytics, and web-based email tools, preferably Mail Chimp.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff and members/volunteers.
- Well organized and detail oriented.
- A solutions-oriented working style.
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
- Filmmaking experience/Adobe Premier or video editing software experience is a plus
How to Apply
- Please complete Blue Water Baltimore’s brief online application
- Please also submit a cover letter, resume and threewriting samples – including articles, blogs or social media posts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Communications Specialist” in the subject line.
- Please, no phone calls.
Blue Water Baltimore is an equal opportunity employer, a drug free workplace, and compliant with ADA regulations as applicable.