Blue Water Baltimore- Director of Development
Blue Water Baltimore
The Director of Development is a position key to the overall strategic growth and sustainability of Blue Water Baltimore. The Director is a senior-level position, responsible for planning and implementing fundraising activities that cultivate major funding sources and developing new fundraising opportunities. The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director, supervises the Development Manager, and works in partnership with the Board of Directors’ Development and Executive Committees and senior members of Blue Water Baltimore’s staff.
In collaboration with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, the Director of Development crafts and implements an annual development plan to meet organizational goals. Working closely with members of the Board and senior staff, the Director researches, initiates, and develops relationships with major donors (individuals, corporations and foundations), and leads a variety of fundraising strategies. The Director promotes a strong, compelling case of need for environmental philanthropy and builds opportunities to create and sustain a culture that understands the relationship between philanthropy and the health of our waterways in our urbanized environment.
Blue Water Baltimore’s mission is to restore the quality of Baltimore’s rivers, streams and Harbor to foster a healthy environment, a strong economy, and thriving communities. Blue Water Baltimore is 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that accomplishes a wide range of work and partners with diverse organizations and community stakeholders to reach its restoration, greening, and advocacy goals. Blue Water Baltimore is committed to creating an inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Read more at www.bluewaterbaltimore.org.
- Create and oversee execution of a robust, multi-faceted development plan to meet Blue Water Baltimore’s funding needs each year.
- Research and identify funding prospects, including grants from corporate, government, and foundation sources, for both programmatic and general operational activities. Share prospecting results with programmatic staff.
- Serve as the organization’s primary grant writer for operating and unrestricted funding needs. Advise, as appropriate, on restricted grants.
- Work with development team to create and implement plans for strategic development activities, including fundraising and relationships building events, corporate sponsorship opportunities; set and track development plan achievements
- Work closely with the Development Manager to develop, review, and advise on materials or initiatives that support fundraising goals, including event brochures, annual giving direct mail, and e-campaigns, etc.
Major Donor Cultivation & Stewardship
- Design and execute processes and strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and recognition of major donors (individuals, companies, and foundations).
- In coordination with the Executive Director, develop and cultivate relationships with current and potential major donors and business leaders.
- Directly solicit leadership and major gifts through individual face-to-face meetings with donors and prospects. Position the Executive Director and members of the Board to make solicitations when appropriate.
- Identify “special gift” opportunities to share with select donors/prospects; create and implement special cultivation and stewardship occasions for select donors/prospects.
- Work with Development Manager to identify volunteers and Annual Fund donors with the fiscal capacity and potential interest to become major gift donors ($1,000+).
- Develop individualized stewardship and engagement opportunities to meet major donor needs and interests, and to ensure their long-term interest and support.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors, Development staff, and Executive Director to plan and execute an annual program of fundraising and cultivation events. Lead event planners, and work with partners, as appropriate, on specific event strategies.
- Establish a Planned Giving Program; build messaging to share with prospective donors on planned giving opportunities.
- Maintain open lines of communication and information-sharing with the Board, Executive Director, staff, and donors.
Corporate Sponsors and Donors
In coordination with the Executive Director, recruit and cultivate corporate sponsors and donors.
- Grow suite of new corporate donors and levels of giving of existing corporate donors.
- Initiate opportunities for corporate networking and cultivation, growing Blue Water Baltimore’s exposure to corporate leaders and corporate interest in BWB work.
- Diversify opportunities for corporate recognition and sponsorship benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Five years of demonstrated fundraising accomplishments.
- Five years of experience leading staff.
- Demonstrated experience with a variety of fundraising and strategic campaign techniques.
- Experience of successfully identifying prospects and cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gift donors.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement fundraising plans.
- Experience researching and writing a variety of successful proposals for foundations, corporations, government agencies, and individual donor prospects.
- Excellent persuasive writing and editing skills.
- Strong public speaking, networking and donor cultivation skills.
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Experience using a donor management database; Salesforce is helpful.
- Health/Dental/Vision benefits
- 401k and Financial Advising
- PTO: Holidays, Personal, Vacation, and Sick Leave
- 100% Employer-Paid Life/Short-Term Disability/AD&D Insurance
- Paid Employee Assistance Program
How to Apply
- Please complete Blue Water Baltimore’s brief online application.
- Please also submit a cover letter, resume and a writing sample (one page, maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Development” in the subject line.
- Please, no phone calls.
Blue Water Baltimore is an equal opportunity employer, a drug free workplace, and compliant with ADA regulations as applicable.