Blue Water Baltimore- Outreach and Advocacy Specialist
Blue Water Baltimore
Blue Water Baltimore Seeks Outreach and Advocacy Specialist
Blue Water Baltimore, the leading water quality nonprofit in Baltimore, seeks a full-time Outreach and Advocacy Specialist to coordinate outreach and engagement in volunteer efforts and public policy activities relating to the major causes of water pollution in the urban environment, including stormwater pollution, sewage, toxics and trash. The Outreach and Advocacy Specialist will work with local community groups in Baltimore City and County and other organizations within Maryland’s environmental community to ensure that the needs of Baltimore, its waterways, and its residents are met. The Outreach and Advocacy Specialist will serve as the lead liaison between Blue Water Baltimore, volunteers, and community members. Ongoing funding for positions at Blue Water Baltimore is contingent on our continued development of funding resources.
Blue Water Baltimore’s mission is to restore the quality of Baltimore’s rivers, streams and Harbor to foster a healthy environment, a strong economy, and thriving communities. Blue Water Baltimore is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that accomplishes a wide range of work and partners with diverse organizations and community stakeholders to reach its restoration, greening, and advocacy goals. Read more at www.bluewaterbaltimore.org.
The Outreach and Advocacy Specialist will coordinate the following:
Volunteer Outreach and Stewardship
- Participate in community meetings & organizing events and represent Blue Water Baltimore with community groups to recruit volunteers, share information on BWB activities and advocacy, and connect residents to our grassroots volunteer, education, and advocacy efforts
- Represent Blue Water Baltimore as an active member to select organizational coalitions, build and nurture effective relationships and alliances with community and other organizational leaders
- Work with development, advocacy, engagement, and restoration teams to engage volunteers in additional activities and develop/manage our stewardship ladder
- Attend select volunteer events to help organize and engage volunteers, and to discuss opportunities for additional action
- Spearhead tracking of volunteers’ / members’ engagement to build advocacy capacity to help advance BWB positions / messages among communities and decision-makers
- Communicate regularly with volunteers, BWB members, and other interested parties regarding BWB’s suite of programs; field and respond to volunteer and advocacy related inquiries in a timely manner
- Ensure quality experience for all volunteers, including being responsible for appropriate safety procedures, follow-up emails, and feedback
Public Policy Advocacy
- Assist Director of Advocacy/Waterkeeper with tracking and researching legislative and regulatory proposals and processes and seek opportunities for Blue Water Baltimore to meaningfully engage; attend public hearings, informational meetings, community meetings, and the like, to learn about issues and positions relevant to water quality policy efforts.
- Represent Blue Water Baltimore on local committees and coalitions to help develop and implement proactive clean water practices and policies and to keep abreast of others’ activities
- In collaboration with the Director of Advocacy/Waterkeeper and ED, develop and implement a strategic policy agenda for organizational priority issues for city, county, and/or state levels, including achievable goals and performance measures
- Support efforts to pass new laws and regulations through educating stakeholders and creating opportunities for community member engagement in the legislative and/or regulatory processes
- Work with other Blue Water staff to educate and engage a broad group of stakeholders and to connect community members with policy action opportunities; attend community and coalition meetings as a representative of BWB
- Support organizational communications and outreach efforts by working with the Communications Specialist and Directory of Advocacy/Waterkeeper to draft press releases, position statements, action alerts, testimony, and social media & blog posts on relevant policy issues and advocacy opportunities
- Collaborate on public education campaigns designed to extend the impact of the organization’s volunteers, educational programs, legislative, and policy advocacy
- Participate in organizational Engagement Team and promote internal communications to ensure Blue Water Baltimore staff/board understands top policy initiatives and how to explain this work to others; periodically attend volunteer, engagement, and other events to help share BWB volunteer opportunities, educational programs, and advocacy messaging
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, management, public policy, community organizing or related field; advanced degree a plus
- 3 years’ experience working on advocacy initiatives, particularly related to environmental issues
- Demonstrated knowledge and interest in environmental/ecological issues
- Familiarity with city, county, or state legislative processes, and/or relevant environmental issues
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; public speaking experience
- Proven ability to work both independently and as part of teams
- Ability to work on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment; ability to prioritize work assignments taking both individual initiative and recognizing the need for additional guidance when appropriate
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work with a diverse cross section of people
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
- Ability to plan and help execute campaign-related communications and outreach
- Proficiency with Microsoft office software applications; comfortable learning new software and engaging constituents through social media and direct outreach.
Salary Range: $45,000 – $50,000
- Please complete Blue Water Baltimore’s brief online application.
- Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
The position will remain open until filled. No phone calls, please.
Blue Water Baltimore is an equal opportunity employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.