GreenVest (GV) seeks a full-time GIS Analyst to work in the challenging and rewarding field of ecosystem restoration. We are looking for an energetic candidate with experience in geospatial analysis and mapping in the field of environmental design, land planning and data management ideally related to ecosystem restoration and compensatory mitigation. The position will entail leading GV’s GIS Group including: managing the development of GIS and/or CAD based work products; organizing and maintaining digital files; maintaining GV’s inhouse GIS database; inventorying, managing and updating related hardwater and software; managing GV’s GIS personnel and interfacing with other GV departments including operations, business development, land acquisition and legal. This position would be based in GV’s Bowie, Maryland office.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
Minimum Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Water Resources, Environmental Science, Ecology, Biology, Geography, Water Resources Management, Environmental Engineering, Landscape Architecture, or related field.
- 5-10 years professional GIS experience using ESRI ArcMap with Spatial Analyst,3D Analyst extensions and AutoDesk Civil 3D (particularly Map 3D) with the ability to move data fluidly to and from AutoCAD and ArcGIS. (GIS coursework not considered professional experience).
- Experience using model-builder to develop repeatable processes Proven ability to organize, analyze, and process geospatial data and produce accurate and visually appealing cartographic output.
- Ability to synthesize geospatial data based on team and partner inputs.
- Experience delineating watersheds or any other hydrologic or hydraulic modeling skills.
- Experience developing web-based maps.
- Experience configuring and uploading data into field-collection instruments, like handheld GPS and TotalStation units, and downloading and post-processing the collected datasets.
- Familiarity with Mid-Atlantic political and physical geography, especially in Maryland.
- Must be able to work in team settings as well as independently with minimal supervision and direction on multiple projects concurrently including experience working with collaborative GIS projects.
- Must possess the ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients, as well as possessing strong organization and technical writing skills with high standards of quality.
- Strong organizational, research and technical writing skills are required, including the ability to find solutions to complex problems and develop repeatable workflows.
- Successful candidates will possess a minimum of 5-10 years of work experience with a positive attitude, strong work ethic, passion for and devotion to the ecosystem restoration profession.
- Strong leadership and effective management skills including overseeing and directing staff, managing multiple priorities and budgets.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Geography, GIS, Environmental Sciences, or related field.
- Experience in or familiarity with field data collection and sampling techniques including ecological inventories, monitoring well and stream gauge installation, automated data logger operation/installation, GPS based sampling, and data collection and reduction.
- Understanding of ecological systems and principals desired.
- Understanding of land use as it relates to ecosystem restoration desired.
- Experience in restoration ecology, fluvial geomorphology, stream and/or aquatic ecology including stream functions and functional assessment.
- Knowledge of local, state, federal regulations related to ecosystem restoration, Section 404 based mitigation and/or TMDL/MS4 compliance (Maryland or Chesapeake Bay State experience strongly preferred).
- Knowledge of basic principles and approach to development of green infrastructure and/or stormwater best management practices (BMP) or projects.
GreenVest is an equal opportunity employer. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience and skills. Details of the GreenVest benefits package will be shared with qualified candidates and all inquiries will be handled confidentially. If interested, please submit your resume, cover letter and a writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org.