Butterfly House Description: The butterfly house is a seasonal (open to the public July – October) exhibit providing a close-up, educational experience on the natural history and life cycle of butterflies. It showcases 20+ species of native butterflies and their host and nectar plants. We emphasize the importance plant-animal relationships in nature as well as the creation and protection of native habitats.
Intern Butterfly House Responsibilities:
- Help observe and care for the eggs, caterpillars, chrysalides, and butterflies in the house
- Help plant and care for the host and nectar plants in the house
- Assist with and/or teach educational programs in the butterfly house
- Help supervise and act as butterfly docent during public viewing times
- Assist with meadow and/or trail management
- Assist with school fieldtrips, summer camp, and public programs
- Other duties as needed: i.e., special events, data-entry, community science projects, data collection, etc.
- Individuals 16 years or older pursuing a career in education, biology, environmental science, botany, zoology, or related fields are preferred.
- Experience and interest in handling insects, invertebrates, plants, and getting hands dirty.
- Enthusiasm for and experience working with the general public.
- Friendly, flexible, creative, self-motivated personality with good communication skills.
- Ability to work in summer heat for several hours at a time & lift objects up to 30 lbs.
- Late May through August, with option to begin in April and/or continue through October.
- 2-3 days per week; one Saturday or Sunday per month may be required.
- 3-7 hours per day; availability approximately 9:00am – 4:00pm.
- Expand your skillset and gain valuable experience to build a career in environmental science, environmental education, horticulture, invertebrate zoology, entomology, biology, etc.
- Training in natural history, life cycle of butterflies, gardening, and general ecology concepts.
- Work with a local, reputable Non-Profit.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and two references to the Butterfly House Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications Due: April 15th, 2023
Proposed Start Date: End of May/June 2023