Butterfly House Internship (unpaid)
Positions Available in Summer 2022 /Application Deadline: March 30
Organization Description: Ladew Topiary Gardens is a nonprofit, 501 (c)(3) organization whose mission is “to maintain and promote the gardens, house and facilities in keeping with the creative spirit of Harvey S. Ladew for the public benefit and for educational, scientific and cultural pursuits.” Ladew’s grounds cover 250 acres, including formal gardens, a seasonal, native butterfly house and an educational trail system through natural habitats including forest, meadows and wetlands. Ladew Topiary Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce.
Butterfly House Description: The butterfly house is a seasonal (open to the public July –October) exhibit providing a close-up, educational experience on the natural history and life cycle of butterflies. It showcases 20+ species of native butterflies and their host and nectar plants. We emphasize the importance plant-animal relationships in nature as well as the creation and
protection of native habitats.
Intern Butterfly House Responsibilities:
- Help observe and care for the eggs, caterpillars, chrysalides and butterflies in the house
- Help plant and care for the host and nectar plants in the house
- Assist and/or teach educational programs in the butterfly house
- Help supervise and act as house host/docent during public viewing times
- Assist with other duties as needed (i.e. special events, data-entry, etc.)
Intern Additional Responsibilities
- Assist with school fieldtrip tours, summer camp, and public programs
- Assist with meadow and/or trail work
- Assist with other duties as needed (i.e. program material prep, clipping trails, etc.)
- Individuals 16 years or older pursuing studies in education, biology, environmental science, botany, zoology, or related fields are preferred
- Experience and interest in handling insects, invertebrates, plants and getting hands dirty
- Enthusiasm for and experience working with the general public
- Friendly, flexible, creative, self-motivated personality with good communication skills
- Ability to work in summer heat for several hours at a time & lift objects up to 30 lbs.
- Late May through August, with option to begin in April and continue through October
- 2-3 days per week; Monday through Sunday; one Saturday or Sunday per month is required
- 3-7 hours per day; availability approx. 9:00am – 4:00pm
- Great career builder for students interested in careers in environmental education, horticulture, invertebrate zoology, entomology, biology, etc.
- Training in natural history/life cycle of butterflies, gardening, and general ecology concepts
Covid-19 safety-Face coverings required indoors. Outdoors when social distancing is not possible.
To Apply: Mail or email cover letter, resume, and the names and contact info of three references to Butterfly House Manager, Susan Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ladew Topiary Gardens ○ 3535 Jarrettsville Pike, Monkton, MD 21111○ www.ladewgardens.com