We are looking for an extraordinary individual to coordinate our half and full day canoe excursions. The Natural History Society of Maryland has been connecting people with nature for nearly 100 years. This seasonal, part-time contractual position has two components – planning and execution.
During the winter months, you will work to scout locations, secure permits, pull together a canoe trip leadership teams, and develop a trip schedule for the 2023 season which will run from April 1 through November 30, 2023. Expectation is 5-7 trips per week – weekdays, weekends, and evenings (trips could be 1.5 hours or longer).
During the season, you will organize transport of gear, communicate with registrants, greet and orient registrants, lead the trips with input from other volunteer naturalists on the team, ensure safety of guests, manage any unexpected issues, oversee correct loading and unloading of gear, manage transport to secure locations.
Payment will be a combination of hourly compensation and commission.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Expert river canoeist
- Outgoing personality able to interact with diverse sets of people
- Skilled in the use of Google Drive, Sheets, Instagram, Facebook, and comfortable learning how to use Wild Apricot, our booking system
- Comfortable managing a complicated schedule of trips
- Able to lift 80lb canoes with assistance
- Comfortable driving a 15 passenger van with a canoe trailer
- Comfortable with collaboration and open communication
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR Certified
- Drivers License – Clean Record
- Pass Background Test
- Experienced naturalist
- BA/BS in Environmental Studies, psychology, biology, or related field
- Social media marketing skills
- Be a part of a growing organization
- Incorporate your vision into programming
- Canoeing 3-5 days per week