CBMM’s Shipyard is a working exhibit of Chesapeake Bay wooden boat building and restoration, open to the public seven days a week, and staffed by CBMM employees and volunteers. CBMM’s shipwrights and apprentices are a tangible connection to the Chesapeake’s rich story of boat building.
CBMM Shipwrights restore, build and maintain traditional wooden vessels, while allowing full public access to the process.
CBMM’s Watercraft Collection is the largest and most important collection of Chesapeake watercraft in the world, with over 90 vessels. The collection is comprised of both operational vessels (the “Floating Fleet”) and vessels utilized exclusively as exhibits (“Curatorial Vessels”). Floating Fleet and Curatorial Vessels, along with commission work performed on Third Party Vessels play important roles in CBMM’s interpretation of Chesapeake Bay history.
- Experience repairing, restoring, and constructing wooden vessels
- Prior work in the building, construction, and/or marine repair industries, with proficiency in using hand, power and stationary tools
- Experience with hauling/moving vessels, lofting, layout, sawyering, joinery and the fabrication of quality traditional vessel construction components
- Crane and forklift experience, basic rigging and metal fabrication experience is a plus.
- Professional experience is preferred. Graduates of boat schools and wooden boat technical programs are encouraged to apply as well.
- Small vessel operation experience and Merchant Marine Credential a plus
- Good communication skills along with the aptitude to teach your skills to volunteers, apprentices, and the general public.
- Must be comfortable building in full public view, being photographed and interviewed and interfacing and interpreting to patrons daily.
Our Full-Time Team Members Enjoy:
- Competitive Compensation commensurate with experience
- 160 hours of paid leave each year (up to 240 with seniority)
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Retirement with Company Match
- Tuition Assistance and Professional Development
Sound like your ideal work environment? Please forward a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome the chance to speak with you!