Chesapeake Bay Foundation – Campaign Director
April 13, 2018
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Campaign Director to be based at its Philip Merrill Environmental Center headquarters located in Annapolis, MD.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
Established over 50 years ago, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the nation’s leading conservation organization dedicated solely to restoring and protecting the Chesapeake Bay, our nation’s largest estuary. With over 240,000 members, an annual operating budget of $26 million, and a $55 million endowment, CBF’s 190 full time staff work in offices in Annapolis and Easton, MD; Richmond and Virginia Beach, VA; Harrisburg, PA; Washington, DC; and in 15 field education program locations across the Bay watershed.
CBF’s headquarters – the Philip Merrill Environmental Center – in Annapolis is the world’s first USGBC LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center in Virginia Beach; the Brock Center is the tenth certified Living Building and one of the most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings in the world.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Chesapeake can become the model of environmental improvement—collaborative restoration based on science that can restore watersheds and clean water across the globe—all while enriching the lives of the watershed’s 18 million residents. Although the Bay is showing tremendous signs of recovery, it remains a system dangerously out of balance. The Chesapeake Bay now stands at a decisive moment: It will either continue to get healthier and naturally resilient, becoming a worldwide model for change, or slide backwards. How we respond right now will determine its fate. Now more than ever, we must accelerate our efforts to defend and advance the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint. We will fight for our future with an investment of $50 million over five years to bolster the Bay’s natural infrastructure, expand and diversify the Bay’s constituency, and oppose the Administration’s efforts head-on with the highest levels of advocacy and litigation.
The Making History Campaign Director will be responsible for working with CBF leadership in developing and implementing the organization’s new campaign, with the ultimate goal of fully implementing the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint by 2025. CBF has launched a fundraising effort to support this work, developed a framework that includes increasing forested buffers in Pennsylvania and oysters in Virginia and Maryland, and dramatically increasing our advocacy base and impact.
This position is considered a senior position and will report directly to the VP of Environmental Protection and Restoration (EPR). Additionally, this position will work closely with all departments to ensure effective strategies are developed and implemented. A successful candidate will have experience in designing and implementing national issue campaigns, and a broad understanding of strategic communications, grassroots advocacy designed to influence federal and state decision makers, and, ideally, fundraising.
Essential functions include:
1. Further Designing and Implementing the Making History Campaign by:
• Working with and providing guidance to core teams associated with each part of the overarching campaign;
• Supervising the Tree and Oyster Campaign Coordinators and providing oversight of partner & coalition efforts to support the Campaign goals;
• Chairing an interdepartmental workgroup for the Campaign;
• Serving as point person for the work being completed by various EPR staff as it relates to the
Making History Campaign;
• Working with CBF State Directors and Grassroots staff on strategy to increase support for implementing the Blueprint in key communities by 2025;
• Working with Communications staff to implement effective communications strategies using tools such as social media, print, paid advertising, and message development to educate and motivate CBF members and the public to support the Blueprint;
• Working with Development staff to ensure campaign goals, objectives and progress are clearly defined and tracked for donor communications.
2. Assisting in managing campaign budget by:
• Assisting the Executive Management Team in overseeing Making History campaign budget to ensure effective expenditures of funds and budget discipline; and
• Assisting VP of Development in fundraising efforts associated with the Making History campaign.
3. Motivating and empowering CBF staff and Board to advocate for the Chesapeake Blueprint by:
• Working with Communications staff to develop staff outreach and education platforms to ensure staff feel prepared to speak about and advocate for Chesapeake Blueprint;
• Working with President and VP of Development to develop effective outreach efforts for Board members; and
• Providing organizational tools and systems to track progress, ensure strong internal communication and coordination of efforts to defend and implement Blueprint.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum 7 years’ experience in developing and implementing state, regional and/or national issue campaigns or similar initiatives, including specific experience in strategic communications and political advocacy. At least five years’ experience in advocacy of complex environmental issues a plus. Knowledge of federal and state laws, regulations, policies and guidelines governing water quality protection is helpful. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Please note this is a campaign-funded position that is expected to be funded for multiple years. However, as with any position that is dependent on campaign money, there is the risk of unexpected funding problems and the position can no longer being funded through the campaign. IF that should happen, CBF will review the position at that time to determine if it can then be funded from other sources of income within the organization.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and salary history and requirements no later than April 13, 2018.
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a tax deferred retirement plan. The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.