Chesapeake Bay Foundation – Summer Work Crew
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation, seeks three (3) summer work crew staff. The positions will be based in Annapolis but the crew will travel extensively throughout the watershed. Reliable transportation is required and a willingness to stay overnight for up to 4 nights at one of CBF’s education sites around the Bay.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional non-profit conservation organization working solely to save the Bay. Established in 1967, CBF has a staff of approximately 185 employees working in offices in Annapolis Maryland; Richmond and VA Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C., and in 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water polices, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF’s headquarters office in Annapolis, MD is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened The Brock Environmental Center in Virginia Beach, VA. The Brock Center is one of the most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings in the world.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $21 million and is supported by more than 200,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF please visit www.cbf.org
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
This is a summer position that will take place at numerous facilities in the Chesapeake Bay. The maintenance crew provides repairs, upkeep, and regular maintenance for CBF boats, properties, and education centers. The centers host thousands of students on an annual basis and subsequently require skillful maintenance attention during the summer months. The crew travels throughout the Bay area, sometimes staying at various centers overnight to complete projects.
Duties may include:
- Maintenance to gear such as canoes, paddles, trucks, trailers
- Sanding and painting (boats and center buildings)
- Renovating buildings
- Repairing docks and fences
- Hauling heavy gear and equipment
- Light carpentry
- Completing office projects (conducting inventories of gear, cleaning storage)
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be at least 18 years of age (or provide a work permit if under 18).
- Must be comfortable working outdoors in remote areas.
- Experience working with tools (hand and power) preferred.
- Boat maintenance experience preferred.
- Camping and outdoor experience preferred.
- Must be willing to travel and have use of a vehicle.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must take initiative and work well as a team player.
Pay is $12/hour. With $15/hr to a foreman’s position. The positions will last for approximately 10 weeks (June-Mid-August) and crew will work up to 40 hours per week.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter and contact information for 3 references by April 13, 2018 to:
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.