Chesapeake Bay Foundation- Virginia Administrative Assistant
May 10, 2019
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Virginia Administrative Assistant to be based at its Virginia State Office located in Richmond, VA.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
Established in 1967, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to saving the Chesapeake Bay, its rivers and streams, and the wildlife that call it home through education, advocacy, litigation, and restoration. Since 2010, CBF has engaged in a focused effort to defend and implement the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint, a binding federal and state collaborative agreement aimed at reducing pollution to the science-based, legally-affirmed levels established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Blueprint is expected to be fully implemented by 2025. If the states and the federal government achieve Blueprint goals, the Bay will finally—after decades of failed efforts—be removed from the Clean Water Act’s impaired waters list. Successfully implementing the Blueprint depends on a well-informed, engaged, active, and diverse constituency of members, advocates, and volunteers who speak up and take action to save the Bay.
CBF has a staff of approximately 190 employees working in offices in Annapolis, Maryland; Richmond and Virginia Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C. as well as 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water policies, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF’s headquarters office in Annapolis, Maryland is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center—one of the world’s most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings—in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $26 million and is supported by more than 275,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF, please visit cbf.org.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Virginia Administrative Assistant will:
• Provide professional administrative support for the Virginia Office
• Support the Senior Attorney
• Assist with program and event coordination
• Lead coordination for Central Virginia staff on use of LCRM platform
Essential functions include:
General administrative duties:
• Screen and route incoming phone calls.
• Greet visitors; assist or direct them to proper staff person.
• Process incoming mail, faxes, and deliveries.
• Prepare outgoing mail, including bulk mailings.
• Understand phone system and train staff on phone features as needed. Troubleshoot system when not working.
• Provide “voice of CBF” to public calling in for assistance with various environmental issues. Assist callers directly or direct calls to appropriate staff.
• Type, draft, proofread, edit, compile, design, create, copy, collate, mail and distribute a variety of items including correspondence, regulatory comments, fact sheets, etc.
• Maintain contacts and mailing lists for office, adding and revising as needed.
• Maintain copier/printer by keeping supplied with paper, toner, ink. Order supplies for machines and call for service when needed.
• Schedule meetings.
• Make travel arrangements, including car rental and lodging reservations.
• Order office supplies for office and staff.
• Maintain CBF literature/publications library and fulfill requests for information by phone/mail.
• Take, transcribe, and distribute notes from various meetings (e.g. staff meetings).
• Work with IT department and outside technical representatives to maintain the computers, telephones, and server room, as needed.
Specific administrative support for Senior Attorney:
• Track bills and prepare reports on legislation of interest proposed by the Virginia General Assembly. Maintain binders of key bills. Become familiar with Lobbyist in the Box legislative tracking system.
• Maintain files for Senior Attorney.
• Handle correspondence of a legal nature.
• Proofread and finalize legal documents.
• Maintain personal and office calendars.
• Schedule appointments and meetings, including meetings with legislators and other government officials.
• Coordinate legal intern recruiting, including on-campus interviews and job fairs by local law schools. Compile resumes. Schedule interviews.
• Create materials for Senior Attorney’s public presentations, including PowerPoint presentations.
Program and Event Coordination:
• Act as an assistant for the Grasses for the Masses program, including helping to organize and test equipment, answering inquiries from volunteer grass growers, ordering additional supplies, mailing supplies to volunteers, attending weekend and weeknight plantings as needed and on occasion, and other activities to ensure the success of this program.
• Help plan logistics for a variety of events including internal staff meetings, overnight staff retreats, offsite external meetings, etc. This can include travel arrangements, lodging, event space rentals, set up, breakdown, coordinating caterers, engaging audio visual technicians, etc.
• Act as Virginia expert on using all modules in LCRM.
• Train other Virginia staff and act as a resource to them on using LCRM.
• Ensure that staff are using LCRM to track needed data.
• Help staff enter data into system.
• Uses LCRM for queries, reports, events, and registration.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
One to three years of experience in an administrative position, which includes contact with the public. Legal assistant experience preferred. Ability to learn and apply CBF’s procedures and to become familiar about CBF’s issues. Excellent oral and written communication skills needed. Proficient with standard office equipment (copier, phone systems), computer systems, and MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
Salary Range: $38,000 – $42,000 (salary negotiable)
To apply, please send resume and cover letter through job posting on CBF website no later than May 10, 2019.
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a tax deferred retirement plan.
CBF encourages diverse candidates to apply and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. CBF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.