The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Virginia Administrative Assistant to be based at its Virginia State Office located in Richmond, VA.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
Established over 50 years ago, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the nation’s leading conservation organization dedicated solely to restoring and protecting the Chesapeake Bay, our nation’s largest estuary. With over 240,000 members, an annual operating budget of $26 million, and a $55 million endowment, CBF’s 190 full time staff work in offices in Annapolis and Easton, MD; Richmond and Virginia Beach, VA; Harrisburg, PA; Washington, DC; and in 15 field education program locations across the Bay watershed.
CBF’s headquarters – the Philip Merrill Environmental Center – in Annapolis is the world’s first USGBC LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center in Virginia Beach; the Brock Center is the tenth certified Living Building and one of the most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings in the world.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Virginia Administrative Assistant provides professional administrative support for the Virginia Office and supports the Senior Attorney. This position will assist with program and event coordination, as well as lead coordination for Central Virginia staff on use of Sales Force platform.
Essential functions include:
General administrative duties
• Screen and route incoming phone calls.
• Greet visitors; assist or direct them to proper staff person.
• Process incoming mail, faxes, and deliveries.
• Prepare outgoing mail, including bulk mailings.
• Understand phone system and train staff on phone features as needed. Troubleshoot system when not working.
• Provide “voice of CBF” to public calling in for assistance with various environmental issues. Assist callers directly or direct calls to appropriate staff.
• Type, draft, proofread, edit, compile, design, create, copy, collate, mail and distribute a variety of items including correspondence, regulatory comments, fact sheets, etc.
• Maintain contacts and mailing lists for office, adding and revising as needed.
• Maintain copier/printer by keeping supplied with paper, toner, ink. Order supplies for machines and call for service when needed.
• Schedule meetings.
• Make travel arrangements, including car rental and lodging reservations.
• Order office supplies for office and staff.
• Maintain CBF literature/publications library and fulfill requests for information by phone/mail.
• Take, transcribe, and distribute notes from various meetings (e.g. staff meeting).
• Work with IT department and outside technical representatives to maintain the computers, telephones, and server room, as needed.
Specific administrative support for Senior Attorney
• Maintain files for Senior Attorney.
• Handle correspondence of a legal nature.
• Proofread and finalize legal documents.
• Maintain personal and office calendars.
• Schedule appointments and meetings, including meetings with legislators and other government officials.
• Coordinate legal intern recruiting, including on-campus interviews and job fairs by local law schools. Compile resumes. Schedule interviews.
• Create materials for Senior Attorney’s public presentations, including PowerPoint presentations.
Program and Event Coordination
• Act as an assistant for the Grasses for the Masses program, including helping to organize and test equipment, answering inquiries from volunteer grass growers, ordering additional supplies, mailing supplies to volunteers, attending weekend and weeknight plantings as needed and on occasion, and other activities to ensure the success of this program.
• Help plan logistics for a variety of events including internal staff meetings, overnight staff retreats, offsite external meetings, etc. This can include travel arrangements, lodging, event space rentals, set up, breakdown, coordinating caterers, engaging audio-visual technicians, etc.
• Act as Virginia expert on using all modules in SalesForce.
• Train other Virginia staff and act as a resource to them on using SalesForce.
• Ensure that staff are using SalesForce to track needed data.
• Help staff enter data into system.
• Uses Salesforce for queries, reports, events, and registration.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Experience in an administrative position, which includes contact with the public. Legal assistant and/or some paralegal experience preferred. Ability to learn and apply CBF’s procedures and to become familiar about CBF’s issues. Excellent oral and written communication skills needed. Proficient with standard office equipment (copier, phone systems), computer systems, and MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and salary history and requirements no later than April 18, 2018.
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a tax deferred retirement plan. The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.