Chesapeake Bay Program Communications Intern
November 30, 2018
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay seeks a Communications Intern for its Chesapeake Bay Program (CBP) Communications Office in Annapolis, Maryland. This is spring 2019 position. Deadline to apply is Friday, November 30, 2018.
The CBP Communications Office supports the partnership’s efforts to restore and protect the Chesapeake Bay by providing information to the public, working with the media, branding and promoting CBP products and activities, and facilitating communications among CBP’s many partners, which include local, state and federal governments, nonprofit organizations and academia. The communications intern will have the opportunity to work with CBP partners to create content, develop communications products and help expand knowledge and awareness around the restoration and protection of the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
The Communications Intern will:
- Work under the guidance of the Communications Director to generate story ideas and draft content to produce high-quality written materials.
- Work with Web Content Specialist to plan, draft and edit web content for CBP’s website, chesapeakebay.net, including writing blog posts.
- Assist in development of weekly and daily newsletters.
- Attend meetings of CBP’s Communications Workgroup and associated action teams.
- Assist with CBP exhibit at events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Desired fields of study: Communications, Public Administration, Public Policy, Science Communication, Environmental Management & Planning, Journalism.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Exceptional written communications skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledgeable with social media, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Ability to perform research and analysis, ensuring that communications products are complete and technically accurate.
- Experience generating story ideas.
- Strong interest in environmental and social issues, preferably related to the Chesapeake Bay.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and willingness to be a team player.
- Comfortable interacting with a diverse array of people and organizations.
- As some travel may be required, owning a car is preferred.
- Graphic design experience desired, but not required.
Contract Period & Hours:
Up to 40 hours/week for 15 weeks (negotiable) in spring 2019 (January-May).
This position is based at the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay headquarters office near downtown Annapolis, Maryland.
Stipend: This is a paid internship without benefits. Federal mileage rates apply.
About the organization(s):
The Chesapeake Bay Program is a diverse federal/state/non-government partnership established in 1983. It works to restore and protect the Chesapeake Bay and the thousands of streams, creeks and rivers in the watershed through collaborative policy making, scientific assessment and public communication.
The CBP Communications Office is managed by the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay under grant funding provided by the Environmental Protection Agency. This position reports directly to the Communications Director and works closely with the Chesapeake Bay Program Communications team.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. The Alliance offers a family and dog-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer.