Chesapeake Conservancy- Communications Coordinator
March 5, 2019
Chesapeake Conservancy and the National Park Service Chesapeake Bay Office (NPS) are partner organizations dedicated to achieving a healthier Chesapeake Bay through restoration, conservation and education. We strive to make connections for people to the rich cultural and natural history of the region. Working together and through partnerships to develop programs for the Chesapeake Gateways and Watertrails Network, we provide the public with the tools and opportunities to explore authentic Chesapeake experiences.
Our efforts require a great deal of attention to innovative public programs, a robust digital presence, and identifying and fulfilling partner needs. Both organizations accomplish their missions by working with a variety of partners on all levels of government and with non-profit organizations.
The Communications Coordinator position will be based at two offices, both Chesapeake Conservancy and the National Park Service Chesapeake Bay Office as part of the Interpretation, Communication and Education Division. It is a wonderful opportunity to gain National Park Service experience and to work in a “park without borders”. The ideal candidate will assist both organizations by helping integrate communications tools, strategies, and messaging as the two organizations carry out the mission of their partnership. Additionally, the Communications Coordinator will enhance communications between the two organizations.
The Communications Coordinator will have the opportunity to:
- Be a part of the Conservancy and NPS Communications team and participate in the development and implementation of an overall integrated communications strategy.
- Work with the Communications team to plan, promote and participate in a variety of joint projects.
- Develop, write and help promote web-based content. This includes writing and posting blog articles for com, assisting in the content development for www.nps.gov/chba, www.nps.gov/cajo, www.chesapeakeconservation.org and www.chesapeakeconservancy.org
- Generate and write partnership content for the Chesapeake Conservancy’s newsletter, Shorelines, and NPS newsletters.
- Participate in development and implementation of an integrated social media strategy.
- Works with consultant who writes weekly e-newsletter “Trips & Tips” and dissemination through email, social and web site posting.
- Collaborate with social media teams to develop appropriate content for all social media outlets.
- Monitor and coordinate response to public inquiries related to web-based wildlife cameras.
- Manage news clip dissemination, web posting, archives and formatting for clips for NPS and Chesapeake Conservancy.
- Help engage reporters who cover NPS and Chesapeake Conservancy joint projects and programs.
- Support educational and outreach projects such as mobile Roving Ranger, Kids in Kayaks and exhibits at festivals, fairs or conferences.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Education and/or experience in communication, marketing or related field.
- Experience in customer service and speaking in public.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Solid writing skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Organizational skills, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
- Creativity and flexibility.
- Experience with social networking and content management systems is desired.
- An interest in the issues related to conservation and restoration of the Chesapeake Bay
This is a one-year term position with the possibility of renewal. The Chesapeake Conservancy offers a competitive employee benefits package that includes health and dental insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, and participation in a retirement savings plan.
Salary Range – $30,000 – $35,000