Chesapeake Bay Program Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee (STAC) Staff
The Chesapeake Research Consortium (CRC; http://www.chesapeake.org) seeks an energetic, motivated, and well-organized individual with good communication skills and career interests in environmental science and policy to assist the CRC in coordinating activities of the Chesapeake Bay Program’s (CBP) Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee (STAC), including provision of administrative and technical support for the STAC Executive Board and various STAC working groups, such as those focused on planning, managing, and reporting on technical workshops and reviews in support of the Chesapeake Bay Program Partnership (http://www.chesapeakebay.net). STAC staff are employees of the CRC in Edgewater, MD, who work directly with STAC members and provide liaison with CBP partners in Annapolis.
Since STAC’s creation in December 1984, STAC staff have assisted the now 38-member committee in its work to enhance scientific communication and facilitate the application of best available scientific understanding to Chesapeake Bay management. STAC provides independent scientific and technical advice in various ways, such as (1) preparation of technical reports and white papers (2) provision of scientific reviews of CBP approaches and products, (3) organization and management of technical workshops, and (4) enhancing communication between the scientific community and technical and management teams within the CBP. Through professional and academic contacts and the organizational networks of its members, STAC ensures close cooperation among the various research institutions and management agencies represented in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. For more information about STAC, please visit http://www.chesapeake.org/stac.
Candidates for the open STAC Staff position should have a strong desire to work with science and policy related to the Chesapeake Bay watershed and be able to travel within the watershed when required. Qualified candidates must have the following skills and abilities to be successful:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study – candidates with backgrounds in environmental science, policy, and management fields are especially encouraged;
- Experience with meeting and event planning from start to finish, including agenda preparation, logistics, and budget management;
- Demonstrable skills in scientific writing and proofreading, as relevant (for example) to the preparation of technical policy reports, scientific summary reports and factsheets;
- Strong skills of oral communication, administrative organization, and time management;
- Ability to work independently and multitask with minimal supervision
- Strong attention to detail and organization
- Experience with producing content for various written and web-based communications
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and cloud-based communication tools
- Experience with database management is a plus, as well as familiarity with Adobe Acrobat Professional suite, reference management software (e.g., Zotera or EndNote), and content management systems.
The initial annual salary is $41,800 plus a very competitive benefits package including medical and dental coverage, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, short-term disability, and a 401K plan.
All application materials should be sent to Rachel Dixon, STAC Coordinator, CRC, at email@example.com by April 13, 2018. Materials should be sent in a single email if possible with separate clearly identified files including a cover letter, resume, list of three references, academic transcripts (unofficial are fine for first submission), and a short writing sample. The cover letter should include information concerning education and professional background as well as immediate and long-term career goals.
CRC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or national origin. CRC maintains a drug-free workplace. All CRC Staff are required to complete a federal background check upon hire.