Posted on Indeed
AutoCAD: 1 year (Required)
Licensed Professional Engineer (Required)
Full Job Description
Natural Resources Design: Civil Engineer – April 2021
Natural Resources Design is an ecologically-focused landscape design firm offering design and build services to residential, commercial, and public clients. We specialize in green infrastructure for municipal projects, focusing on schools and parks, using creative and regenerative designs. Our goal is to restore the environment, one project at a time. We’re a diverse company dedicated to empowering our people to work to their fullest potential as part of our team. Our team includes 3 designers, 1 civil engineer, 3 project managers, and our 12 installation and maintenance crew, plus our admin team. We serve clients across the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area.
Our company is growing rapidly, so we’re seeking a Civil Engineer to work closely with our designers, project managers, and installation team to implement LID designs for our municipal, commercial, and residential clients. The candidate will work with our current Civil Engineer to learn our approach to community-based design. We’re looking for a versatile, creative, collaborative engineer who brings both solid experience and an interest in learning and growing in a stimulating environment. The role offers the challenges and rewards of handling a wide variety of engineering projects. The candidate should be interested in working with a small company, fulfilling a number of roles, working independently and in collaboration with the team. The ideal candidate will be motivated by soft BMP facilities (living BMP facilities) and contributing to the overall health of the environment.
What you will do:
- Manage, design, develop, create, and maintain small-scale through to large-scale construction projects in a safe, timely and sustainable manner.
- Conduct on site investigations and analyze data (maps, reports, tests, drawings and other).
- Carry out technical and feasibility studies and draw up plans that satisfy technical specifications.
- Review project sites and proposed landscaping designs to identify engineering issues and design solutions that work within site, design, and budget constraints.
- Assess potential project risks, materials, and costs; provide cost estimates for proposals.
- Provide advice and resolve creatively any emerging problems/deficiencies.
- Contribute to team effort on proposals and projects, and coordinate with a variety of stakeholders in pre-proposal and project phases.
- Monitor progress and compile reports regarding project status.
- Manage budget and purchase equipment/materials.
- Comply with guidelines and regulations including permits, safety etc. and deliver technical files and other technical documentation as required. Advise management on changes in regulations.
- Use BuilderTrend (our project tracking software) to capture client information, create estimates, and provide status updates on projects.
- Actively participate in marketing efforts for engineering work, including sales calls and proposal prep.
- Licensed Professional Engineer with ability to obtain licensure in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia within 6 weeks of hiring. NCARB certified preferred.
- Proven working experience in civil engineering, with a minimum of 5 years experience.
- Excellent knowledge of design and visualizations software such as AutoCAD, Civil 3D or similar.
- Proficiency in site layout, grading, utility design, erosion control, Low Impact Stormwater Management, regulatory approvals etc.
- Project management and supervision skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative and adaptable to the needs of the company; comfortable with quickly shifting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-directed problem-solver, able to figure out how to accomplish tasks; unafraid to ask for guidance when needed.
- Self-motivated, organized, responsible, efficient, loyal, detailed, accurate.