Environment America Clean Water Advocate
Attention Job Seekers: In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, we want to assure you that Environment America is actively hiring for this position, and we welcome your applications.
Clean water is a core environmental value. Our rivers, lakes and streams are central to nature and our engagement with it. We swim, fish, canoe, kayak or just wonder at the stunning scenery and wildlife around our waterways. They provide us with clean drinking water. We should be doing all we can to protect them.
Yet pollution still flows into our water—PFAS and other chemicals, manure from factory farms, toxic coal ash, sewage overflows, lead from pipes, and more. It’s time to shift our economy from pollution to prevention and ensure that all our water is clean.
Environment America is seeking a Clean Water Advocate to advance solutions to the biggest pollution challenges facing our waterways. The Clean Water Advocate will work with our experienced team of lobbyists, researchers, organizers, and communications experts on advocacy campaigns for bold policy changes that win the hearts and minds of our fellow Americans.
If you want to work hard, challenge yourself, and make an actual impact on these issues, then this could be the right job for you.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Advocacy: Present a compelling case for strong action on clean water to decision–makers through lobbying, testifying at hearings, and producing powerful written materials.
- Coalition Building: Engage support from diverse and powerful allies and cultivate relationships with them over time.
- Media and Visibility: Earn media attention and digital visibility, and build relationships with reporters. Speak and network at conferences to become a recognized expert on the issues.
- Program Development: Participate in policy development, engage in research, and help create winning strategies and powerful messaging for our clean water program.
- Grassroots Mobilization: Mobilize citizens with compelling and timely opportunities for action.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff, and raise money from donors, to bring more resources to our campaigns.
- Recruitment: Recruit staff, interns and volunteers to increase our impact.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An experienced communicator with excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Creative, effective at solving complex problems, and a strategic thinker with excellent judgement and discretion.
- A good people-person/listener with a track record of successful access-building.
- Well-organized and able to track multiple campaign projects and organizational priorities such as fundraising and recruitment.
- Three plus years of experience in grassroots organizing, coalition-building, campaign politics and/or advocacy.
- A team player, with the passion and grit to build a movement and do what it takes to get the work done.
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. We value experience with campaigns, advocacy at the federal level and grassroots organizing. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package.
The ideal location for this position is Washington, DC, but we will consider other locations (Denver, Boston and Chicago in particular) for the right candidate who is willing and able to travel.
To apply, fill out our online application at https://jobs.environmentamerica.org/apply_46.html?utm_source=Chesapeake-Network&utm_medium=web-ad&utm_campaign=AMEspring2020&utm_term=46&utm_content=Clean-Water-Advocate.
Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to getting things done. Visit https://jobs.environmentamerica.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Right now, our partner U.S PIRG is working to ensure that everyone who needs a COVID-19 test gets one. The pandemic has affected thousands of Americans, and killed dozens already, but doctors still can’t get tests for those that need it. Please take action by calling on the new testing chief to adopt a plan that will help ensure that everyone who needs a test gets a test: https://uspirg.webaction.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=37037
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer.