The Oyster Recovery Partnership has an immediate opening for a Coastal Science Technician contract position. The Coastal Science Technician will be responsible for assisting in the documentation of oyster restoration activities using GIS and for supporting oyster monitoring and fishery independent projects. The position will spend most of the time outdoors and in the field. Frequent in-state travel using the candidate’s personal vehicle is required.
Specific duties include:
- Document oyster restoration activities onboard large commercial vessels
- Maintain and deploy water quality monitoring equipment
- Data management and data entry, analysis and report writing
- Participate as a team member on oyster reef monitoring surveys
- Conduct commercial fisheries harvest verification
- Support education and community outreach events
- Bachelor’s degree or higher education
- Experience using tablet computers
- Experience with ArcGIS
- Must have documented boating experience and be comfortable working from boats
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Must possess reliable transportation
- Some overnight travel is required
- Familiarity with oyster biology, restoration and/or aquaculture
- Familiarity with scientific monitoring
- Familiarity with commercial fishing operations
Position Details and Benefits:
This is full-time hourly (40 hours/week) contract position without benefits. Compensation will be $18 per hour. The position will be based in Annapolis, MD, but ORP has office space in Cambridge, MD that could also serve as the primary office location. Expected employment will begin in May 2022.
- At this time, a portion of work can be conducted remotely, with exceptions for fieldwork and oyster restoration activities
- When conducting fieldwork or restoration activities, all staff are expected to follow Covid-19 CDC guidelines (wear masks, consent to temperature checks, maintaining social distance, etc.)
- Technicians are expected to attend bi-weekly (or more frequent) staff meetings
- Reimbursement for mileage, meals, and other qualifying expenses are available for travel and field activities
The Oyster Recovery Partnership is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that designs, promotes, and implements consensus-based and sustainable shellfish ecological restoration, aquaculture, and commercial fishery activities to improve the environment and expand economic opportunities in the Chesapeake and Coastal Bays and beyond.
This position is open until filled. Interviews of qualified applicants will be scheduled to start in mid-April 2022. Anticipated start date is May 2022.
For consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to Olivia Caretti: OCaretti@oysterrecovery.org
Attn: Job Opening- Coastal Science Technician