JOB TITLE: NATURE CENTER CAMP LEADER
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Help lead summertime camps at the Robinson Nature Center (RNC). Participants engage in nature study, environmental study and/or other outdoor pursuits. Under direction of the Naturalist, the leader assists with instruction and supervision for nature camps. Camp leaders work 15-35 hrs a week (Monday-Friday) from late May through late August.
- Assist in the planning, implementation and supervision of a recreation program in the nature programming area.
- Instruct camp participants in certain aspects of nature and environmental study. Assists in the direction of the participants.
- Ensure that participants conduct themselves in a proper manner so as not to endanger themselves or others. Secure medical assistance for anyone who may be injured during an activity.
- Assist with the inspection of areas and equipment used for programs on a daily basis for potentially hazardous or unsafe condition.
- Communicate clearly and courteously with other camp staff, park/school staff, parents and children.
- Assist in setting up and taking down equipment and cleaning up area daily. Perform additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Assist with the implementation of Howard County Recreation and Parks policies and procedures and camp standards and attend mandatory in-service training(s) or other meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as needed to ensure the smooth operations of the center.
- May assist in opening and closing duties as assigned.
- Communicates clearly and courteously with the public and coworkers. This may include answering phones while providing front desk coverage.
- Be trained in the use of the AED, CPR and First Aid.
- Other duties as assigned.
At least 18 years of age. Ability to communicate with the public, give clear directions, and have an interest or experience with nature programming activities. Should have the ability to assist with teaching skills. CPR and first aid skills required. Have strong leadership skills and have experience working with groups and children. Have an awareness of the environment. Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions. Lifeguard certification preferred.
EDUCATION: High school diploma, or equivalent.
RATE OF PAY: Contingent / Paraprofessional – $11.00 per hour
Please send resume and cover letter to Education and Technology Manager, Ellen Reinecke email@example.com