BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Weekend work is required along with some evening hours. Work
weeks will follow a Wednesday – Sunday schedule, totaling 37.5 hrs/week. Assists with the
maintenance and day-to-day operations of the Robinson Nature Center (RNC). This position
performs maintenance of buildings, grounds and equipment. Assists with conservation
stewardship projects including, invasive plant removal, native tree and shrub plantings, and trail
construction. Inspects the site to ensure that facilities, grounds, and equipment are in good order
and in proper condition and that safety standards are maintained. Assists with the set up and
take down for programs, classes & events, including some janitorial duties. Develops and
oversees the completion of work projects and other duties as assigned. Please note that while
this position is continuous, it is not a full-time position. However, there are limited benefits
which include health care and accrued paid time off.
DUTIES: Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• General building and grounds maintenance associated with operating a nature center.
• Assists with conservation stewardship projects including, invasive species removal,
native tree and shrub plantings, meadow management, and trail construction.
• Performs and/or oversees various landscape maintenance activities such as mowing,
weeding, edging, mulching, pruning, raking, planting, fertilizing, etc.
• Assists with the coordination of projects for volunteers, interns, students, and scout
• Performs various janitorial duties not covered in the janitorial contract to include the
operation of buffers, carpet cleaners, safe use of various chemical cleaning agents, trash
• Performs various minor building maintenance activities such as fixing /adjusting doors,
hinges, changing light bulbs, etc.
• Sets up and takes down tables/chairs and various other items required for meetings,
trainings, special events etc.
• Constructs the physical components of interpretive display media as required.
• Determines and applies appropriate pesticides for vegetation control.
• Work includes performing construction and maintenance tasks, tree care and maintaining grounds by assisting with planting, pruning, brush cutting, mowing, spraying, watering, tree removal, mulching, weeding, chipping, and snow removal.
• Assists with the construction of the physical components of interpretive display media as required.
• Maintains fountains/water features.
• Constructs and installs nest boxes.
• Maintains parkland and related facilities using rakes, shovels, brooms, hand tools, and small power tools such as string trimmers, hedge sheers, edgers, chainsaws, blowers, etc.
• Helps facilitate teacher workshops that encourage outdoor learning
• During inclement weather, keeps entry ways and walkways clear of snow and ice to maintain public safety.
• Provides a security presence and works on special projects involving building maintenance.
• Other duties may be assigned.
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS: Read and follow written instructions. Be able to work independently. Operate a motor vehicle safely, capable of using a two-way radio and phone. Be able to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions. Must have knowledge and experience in park landscape and building maintenance. Must be able to communicate effectively, work unsupervised and make safe and responsible decisions. Operate a variety of hand and power tools and equipment. Ability to use various computer software programs such as Word, Excel, Access, etc. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence, and speak effectively before public groups or employees of the organization. Be trained in the use of the AED, CPR and First Aid. Must have flexible schedule and possess a Maryland class “C” driver’s license with certified driving record. Background checks required. Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Associates Degree in Environmental Science/ Education, Horticulture, Biology, and Wildlife Management and/or other related field. Experience and/or past positions in Park Maintenance and Trail Construction may be substituted.
RATE OF PAY: $15.00/hr.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants can submit their resume and cover letter to Kevin Driscoll at email@example.com