(Columbia, MD) Seasonal Crew Member — Conservation & Landscape Management
Please read the entire job description and requirements. Then complete the application.
Crew Members work on a crew under the direction of the Landscape Foreman to construct and maintain rain gardens and conservation landscapes around Howard County. Crew Members also engage in other environmental work such as tree plantings, tree maintenance, invasive plant removals, stream clean-ups, and more.
Crew Members work Monday through Friday from 7 am to 3 pm in the summer and 8 am to 4 pm in the fall. Crew members are trained in the design and installation of green stormwater practices such as rain gardens, maintenance of public and private installations, and stormwater assessment techniques. They receive job skills training and are exposed to local and regional environmental issues.
Must be willing to work under different weather conditions (e.g. – heat, cold, light rain, etc.) and work environments. Crew members will work outdoors 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and may encounter wildlife, insects, etc.
Crew Members are paid a wage of $11.50/hr.
This position will start the week week of August 26th and ends mid-December.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must be able to perform hard labor including shoveling, lifting heavy materials, etc.
- Must be able to work outside in the sun for extended periods of time.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to work as part of a team.
- Must be a Howard County resident.
- Must have a reliable form of transportation to get to work each morning.
- Must be punctual.
- Must wear appropriate work clothes, including long pants and steel-toed boots.
September 2 to December 14, 2019
7 am to 3 pm, Monday through Friday (schedule will shift to 8 am to 4 pm in the fall)