Communications & Development Associate – Partnership for the National Trail System
Partnership for the National Trail System
The Partnership for the National Trails System (Partnership), the only nationwide, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the extraordinary value of American National Scenic and Historic Trails, seeks a staff person to play a key role in the growth of the organization.
Position will be responsible for fundraising and communications for the Partnership for the National Trails System. This position will play an instrumental role in growing the capacity of the Partnership and elevating its profile as well as the profile of the National Trails System.
Promote Partnership activities to increase public recognition of the organization, its mission, its activities and the National Trails System
- Manage all Partnership communications to define and enhance the Partnership brand
- Working closely with Partnership staff and leaders, help develop and implement an integrated communications plan for print, digital and social media marketing
- Produce (write, edit and design) and assist as needed with the coordination of printing and distribution of the quarterly newsletter, Pathways, as well as annual reports, case studies and event and advocacy materials
- Develop and send monthly e-newsletters and updates
- Manage the Partnership’s website and social media accounts to keep information current and to positively elevate the image of the Partnership
- Gather information from and find avenues to encourage exchange among the member organizations of the Partnership, fellow trail organizations, agency partners, Partnership supporters, and the general public via Partnership communications and platforms
- Coordinate promotions and media relations
- Organize and staff the Partnership’s participation in outreach events, such as conferences of peer organizations, expos, and other public events
- Attend staff meetings as well as relevant meetings, events and activities as assigned by the Executive Director
- Other projects or roles as assigned by the Executive Director
- Ensure effective member and donor relations in all Partnership activities
- Working closely with the Executive Director and Fundraising Committee, play a role in the development and implementation a development plan to increase organizational revenue with an emphasis on increasing private giving
- Manage an effective membership program and annual fund, including the organization of acquisition campaigns and appeals, management of gift processing and donor software and assisting with donor cultivation and stewardship
- Prepare requests, proposals and reports to individual, corporate and institutions for gifts, grants and sponsorships
- Conduct research to identify prospective donors and assist in developing strategies to secure support from prospects with emphasis given to major gift prospects
- Provide regular, timely donor and member reports for organizational leadership working with bookkeeping or accounting contractors to reconcile reports
- Coordinate the preparation of the financial portion of grant reports with staff and contractors to ensure compliance with funder requirements
- Staff the Fundraising Committee and other Committees as assigned by the Executive Director
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in development and communications roles
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Experience using InDesign, Photoshop or similar programs, or a willingness to learn
- WordPress and social media management experience
- Commitment to advancing JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion)
- Experience working with diverse audiences, including young and aspiring professionals
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Positive member and stakeholder relations skills
- Superb organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently while ensuring open communications and smooth collaboration with colleagues and multiple stakeholders
- Occasional domestic travel is required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in public relations, communications or a related field
- Knowledge of donor management and CRM software
- Familiarity with the National Trails System and nonprofit management
- Generous paid time off
- Paid holidays
- A health care contribution may be available upon employment
The Partnership is exploring additional employee benefits with the expectation of providing access to health care and retirement plans or flexible benefits packages in 2021.
Reasonable accommodations for flexible schedules or telework will be made for the right candidate.
Start Date: The start date is flexible, and the posting will remain open until we find the right candidate.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, a writing sample and a design sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications & Development Associate” in the email subject line.
Applications will be collected and reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
- Interviews will be conducted via phone and/or video conference
- The Partnership will review COVID-19 related policies with candidates during interviews