Potomac Riverkeeper Network
3070 M St., NW, Washington, DC 20007
Potomac Riverkeeper Network (PRKN) is seeking a Communications Intern to assist in its programmatic efforts. Ideal candidates are passionate about our mission and are looking to use their skills and talents to protect a beautiful, iconic, and historic waterway that provides drinking water for almost 6 million Americans through environmental advocacy and grassroots community engagement.
Our Mission: We work to protect the public’s right to clean water in the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. We stop pollution to help to ensure safe drinking water, protect healthy river habitats, and enhance public use and enjoyment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research social media and digital communication best practices, and help increase public engagement with these platforms
- Support and contribute to the writing, editing, and production of membership, advocacy, and program materials, including print newsletters, web and social media content development, and contributions to e-newsletters and other communications.
- Assist with the coordination of updates to website
- Support outreach and fundraising events with production of materials, photographing, and videotaping.
- Maintain a central library of images and production materials.
- Maintain media list and media mentions archive; assist with distribution/promotion of press releases to media networks.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student or early-career professional. PRKN can provide supervision to the student if needed for internship or externship credit.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience with computer software programs such as Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop and InDesign.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office programs, including preparing outreach materials.
- Familiar with use of social media programs
- One to three years of marketing or communications experience.
- Passion for rivers and Potomac Riverkeeper’s mission to protect them.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Desire and ability to work independently in a self-directed, small-office environment
How to Apply
Applicants should send a single PDF document containing a cover letter and resume to: jobs@PRKnetwork.org. Please indicate in the subject line, COMMUNICATIONS INTERN. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and with a variety of skills, experiences, and ideas. We are an equal opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color or any other protected class