Deadline: April 10, 2023
Start Date: May 15, 2023 (flexible)
Hours: 20 hours/week
Location: Remote/Washington, D.C. with travel to Indianapolis on August 8-13
Summary: The National Caucus of Environmental Legislators (NCEL) seeks a highly motivated intern who is passionate about the environment to support our communications work and preparations for our annual National Forum. This includes assisting with email outreach, material design, and coordinating logistics. This year’s National Forum will take place in Indianapolis, Indiana on August 10-12. The intern will be expected to travel for the Forum with all travel costs covered by NCEL. The intern will also help with drafting blog posts, social content, email updates, and website maintenance for our program work on topics including oceans, conservation, environmental health, and climate and energy.
NCEL is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization working with state lawmakers to advance environmental initiatives and defend against the rollback of environmental safeguards. We are a nationwide network of over 1,200 state legislators with membership in all 50 states and from both major parties. NCEL staff conduct both issue-focused and regional projects, and our forums provide an opportunity for legislators to learn about emerging environmental issues and collaborate with their colleagues from other states. For more information, visit www.ncelenviro.org.
- Assist in event planning and coordination for the National Forum of state legislators across the country.
- Oversee and track the preparation of all Forum materials such as flyers, information books, fact sheets, presentations, and more.
- Conduct email outreach to legislators.
- Maintaining the event platform app for the Forum.
- Coordinate with program staff to create communication materials and highlight other events throughout the summer.
- Draft sample statements for legislators and NCEL.
- Lead the weekly update of bills to the NCEL website.
- Write social media content, email updates, blogs, and web posts.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to convey complex information in simple terms.
- Experience with social media and WordPress is preferred.
- Must have experience in Google applications and basic database management.
- Ability to work independently with strong time management skills.
- Interest or experience with environmental issues as well as communications from a previous experience or coursework is preferred.
- Must be available to attend the National Forum in Indianapolis. All expenses will be covered by NCEL.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF detailing your qualifications to Taylor Anderson at email@example.com by April 10 at 5:00 PM ET. Include “NCEL SUMMER COMMUNICATIONS INTERN 2023” in the subject line.
NCEL requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment. Medical and religious exemptions can be considered with documentation
NCEL is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from groups that have been historically underrepresented, including but not limited to women and people of color. NCEL makes hiring decisions without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. NCEL does not lobby for or against any state or federal legislation.