Deadline: October 13, 2023
Start Date: November 6, 2023
End Date: May or June 2024
Hours: 15-20 hours/week
Summary: The National Caucus of Environmental Legislators (NCEL) seeks a highly motivated intern to join the team for ~6 months to support our communications work throughout the Fall and state legislative session. The intern will assist in drafting blog posts, social media content, bill tracking and highlights, and legislator outreach and spotlights. The ideal candidate for this position is a strong writer and a self-starter who can work independently as well as in a team and has a passion for ocean and/or environmental policy. While this internship will assist across all program areas, it will have a particular focus on ocean policy.
About NCEL: NCEL is a nationwide network of over 1,200 state legislators with membership in all 50 states and from both major parties. We conduct both issue-focused and regional projects, and our forums provide an opportunity for legislators to learn about emerging environmental issues and collaborate with their colleagues from other states. Learn more at www.ncelenviro.org.
- Write regular social media content, email updates, blogs, and web posts.
- Work with program staff in drafting regular policy spotlights.
- Assist in tracking and maintaining a list of ocean legislation.
- Conduct outreach and interviews of NCEL members to create routine legislator spotlights.
- Draft op-eds and sample statements for legislators and NCEL.
- Lead the weekly update of bills to the NCEL website.
- Work with NCEL staff to support database and online community management.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to convey complex information in simple terms.
- A basic understanding of policy and the legislative process is a plus.
- Must have experience in Google applications and basic database management.
- Ability to work independently with strong time management skills.
- Interest or experience with ocean and/or environmental issues as well as communications from a previous experience or coursework is preferred.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF detailing your qualifications to Taylor Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 13 at 5:00 PM ET. Include “2023-2024 NCEL COMMUNICATIONS INTERN” in the subject line.
NCEL is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from groups that have been historically underrepresented, including but not limited to women and people of color. NCEL makes hiring decisions without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. NCEL does not lobby for or against any state or federal legislation.