Summer 2018 Communications Internship
Organization: The Alice Ferguson Foundation is an environmental educational organization on the Potomac River, focused on connecting people to the natural world, sustainable agricultural practices and the cultural heritage of their local watershed through education, stewardship and advocacy. As a leader of watershed stewardship, it models innovative practices, outreach, partnerships, programs and events that are replicated regionally.
Position: The ideal candidate should be highly-motivated individuals that possess excellent communication skills, strong analytical abilities, computer knowledge, and be able to work independently or as part of a team with minimal supervision.
- Implement social media plan by developing content and coordinating social media postings (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube)
- Track media placements in print, television, radio, and web outlets. Assist with media cultivation and story placements.
- Help maintain editorial calendar and support monthly newsletter.
- Support development of print and online collateral.
- Use content management system to create and update website content, track analytics.
- Collaborate with supervisor and staff to execute communications & marketing objectives.
- Support event planning and outreach.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communications;
- Proficient using Microsoft Office, with strong web, social media, and computer skills
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, work under deadline, and be flexible when necessary;
- Quick learner with the ability to take initiative;
- Familiarity with Adobe programs (especially Photoshop or InDesign), WordPress CMS, and/or Google Analytics a plus;
- Photography, graphic design and/or video editing experience a plus.
Degree in communications, public policy, political science or applicable area preferred but not required; any combination of education and experience that enables the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Please submit writing sample, cover letter, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Term: May – August 2018. Start and end dates are flexible.
Schedule: 24 hours/week.